Traineeship in Animal Care Birmingham Reptiles & Pets
Closing date: 12 Dec 2022
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic candidate who has a passion for working with different individuals but is lacking the skills, confidence and qualifications needed to begin working in the animal care sector. We require good communication skills and someone who is willing to gain valuable work experience to progress into an apprenticeship.
This Traineeship work experience is part of an education and training programme that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. At its core is the work preparation training, English and maths for those who need it, and a high-quality work experience placement.
Traineeships help unlock your great potential and give you the work preparation training, maths, English, Digital Skills and work experience needed to get an Apprenticeship or other job.
This Traineeship Opportunity is unwaged.
Are you eligible?
- Are you currently not in a job? Do you have little or no work experience?
- Are you aged 16 to 24 and qualified below Level 3 (A level)?
We as a training provider will also support you for up to 6 months after the 7 week course has been completed, if you are unsuccessful at gaining employment should you require additional support.
Your daily duties will vary within Animal Care, but it can include:
- Monitor animals' health
- Clean out kennels or cages
- Prepare food and help out at feeding times
- Clean and groom animals
- Look after animals that become ill or distressed
- Serving customers
- Dealing with customer queries and complaints
- Handling payments / Operating a cash register
- Displaying products
- Patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Stocking shelves when a product is running out
Training to be provided
The candidate will complete a 7 week pre-employment training programme which will be a mix of classroom workshops and 100 hours work based experience.
Our course is set to run for 7 weeks but some may finish later (up-to 6 months) depending on the one to one support needed.
The first 3 weeks will be a classroom workshop at our traineeship centre, the candidate will then go out to the work placement for the following 4 weeks.
While in work shop with us you will learn:
- Health and safety
- Equality and diversity
- Time management
- Team working
- English and maths
- Interview techniques
- CV writing
- Specific sector knowledge
Monday - Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm
Possible start date
13 Dec 2022
06 Apr 2022
About the employer
Desired skills and what this will lead to
Desired skills and qualities
You must not already hold a Level 3 qualification or higher to be eligible for this opportunity.
- Friendly and flexible
- Enthusiastic and keen to keep learning new skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Good communicate skills
- People skills
- professional manner
- Committed to personal development
- Good attendance
- Desire to work
- Someone willing to gain valuable work experience
- Desire to succeed
- Highly motivated
What this will lead to
- After successful completion of the Traineeship course, you will receive a certificate of completion and a letter of reference as a minimum, to support future job applications
- This opportunity could lead into a paid Retail apprenticeship
- This is a work experience opportunity that could lead into paid employment. Job offers and apprenticeships are not guaranteed and based on the candidate’s performance while in the work placement
Things to consider
The first 3 weeks of the course will be based at our traineeship centre Monday to Thursday 9.00am - 4.30pm in Digbeth B9 4AT, the learner will then attend a 4 week work placement at the named sector near to your home postcode.
- Eligible to work in England
- Unemployed and have little or no work experience
- Aged 16 to 24
- Does not currently hold a level 3 qualification in any subject
- Not currently enrolled with another college or training provider
- Willing to travel up to 45 minutes for the work placement
- Available full for the 7 weeks
- Has required ID such as in date passport, driving license or birth certificate
- Has proof of current address
- Has a National Insurance number
- No criminal record- clear from cautions or convictions