Apprentice Toolmaker HCM Engineering Ltd
An excellent opportunity to become an engineering apprentice to join established toolmakers in Stourbridge.
Closing date: 10 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
15 Aug 2022
12 May 2022
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Accountable to the Production Manager, the Assembly & Final Inspection Technician Apprentice will be responsible for maintaining, repairing and manufacturing a range of High pressure dies, Low Pressure dies, gravity dies and trim tools to a very high standard. This involves all aspects of toolmaking from design interpretation to final mould sampling support on site at customers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manufacturing of new mould tools from technical drawings and SolidWorks/Edrawings models to a high level of workmanship in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Pre-delivery inspection checks
- Complete tool servicing, repairing, and troubleshooting activities for different types of die cast mould tools, in line with internal standards & customer expectations for robustness, safety, quality and timelines
- To manufacture tooling parts using the full range of Tool Room equipment either from detailed drawing or project brief and sketches within the defined tolerances, ensuring all work is completed with 'right first time' principles. Maintaining 5S principles
- As part of a team to manufacture new tooling, modify existing tooling and provide support with sampling and fault-finding process, to ensure the appropriate standards are met and that any tooling activities are completed to the agreed plan
- Complete all activities right first time and to a quality standard that meets the Company’s specification with minimum disruption to Operations
- Maintain and update all relevant documentation related to tooling activities in line with the agreed Company and customer standards, ensuring that any regulatory or quality requirements are met
- Suggest any possible improvements to safety, tooling or processes, for assessment by appropriate department/management
- Record key project data for reference and ensure production checklists are completed
- Ensure correct marking and labelling of tools. Ensure all stock items, tool inserts and spare parts are returned to the designated location and stored correctly
- View complex assemblies using 3D CAD software
- Create & Modify 3D CAD components for 3D printing
- Create 3D printed parts to compliment manufacturing activities
- Complete final inspection using 3D inspection arm (Faro) and software
Requirements and prospects
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent hands-on skills with a mathematical mind-set
- Good clear communication skills at all levels, both written and verbal
- Be computer literate – MS Word / Excel
- Apprenticeship or relevant experience in using various types of Tool Room/engineering equipment
- Good timekeeping skill and flexible in line with overtime availability
- Be able to work effectively in a team environment
- Self-motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Willing to learn and undertake any training required for the role, both internal & external
GCSEs at grades C/5 or above (or equivalent) in maths, English, and a science.
Following successful completion of your Apprenticeship, you will progress into a full-time employed position within our Assembly & Final Inspection department. Potential exists for additional on the job learning/ training working on a variety of machinery such as the CNC lathe, surface grinder and radial driller. In future, should a position become available, the opportunity would exist for you to progress to a Team Leader position.
About the employer
This is an Elite Centre for Manufacturing Skills employer vacancy.
HCM Engineering Ltd. Established in 1969, HCM has developed into one of the UK's leading exponents in the manufacture of tooling for a European-wide base of Aluminium and Iron foundries responsible for supplying components to the World's Automotive and other Industries.
HCM considers its main asset to be the people it employs. Our highly skilled employees are supported by the company's continual recruitment and training scheme incorporating a structured modern apprenticeship programme.
HCM Engineering Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Dudley College of Technology
Emma Southall 01384 363545
L3 Engineering Technician Standard, option 12: Toolmaker and Tool and Die Maintenance Technician, qualification will include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) – Toolmaker, Tool and Die Maintenance
- Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
Training will take place at Dudley College with a day release.
College day release will start September.
In addition, assessors will visit learners at their workplace as part of their continual assessment.
Engineering manufacturing technician
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.