Apprentice Business and Customer Counter Service/Sales & Yard Operative Myers Group
An Apprentice is required at our Denby Dale branch; you will learn all about administration, products and sales, you will also have a hands-on practical position which, with the help of our team, will enable you to learn about the running of a branch. You will bring what you learn from college into action.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2022
£200.00 - £225.00
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
10 Mar 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Applications are invited from individuals who are enthusiastic, have a hands-on approach and wish to develop a long-term career in this industry.
We are happy to accept applications from candidates from school leavers to mature applicants.
We require you to undertake the Customer Service Standard as we require the candidate to have a Customer focussed approach.
The role will involve the following:
- Liaise proactively with customers on a day-to-day basis and undertake all counter sales functions in accordance with Group requirements in order to fulfil their needs
- Ensure all suppliers, customers, visitors and employees comply with the Company Health and Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures
- Maintain and develop corporate image and reputation
- Seek and continuously develop knowledge and information about competitor activity and pricing
- Dealing with requests for information
- Ensure that cash and payment systems are followed in accordance with company procedures and policies
- Maintain and develop existing and new customers through appropriate propositions and ethical sales methods
- Maximise sales opportunities for related products and Group cross selling, after training.
- Communicate and liaise internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships
- Ensure the upkeep of all merchandising to maximise sales, customer satisfaction and appearance
- Attend meetings and group discussions where required
- Chasing up payments
- Using Microsoft Office packages, in particular Word, Excel
- Lifting may be required as experience will be gained in the day-to-day yard operations
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by the company from time to time, as instructed by or under the direction of your immediate supervisor
As part of your contract of employment completion of the Apprenticeship Training Programme forms part of your duties as well as helping your personal and professional development; the requirements to complete the programme are as follows:
- Attend and be punctual for all induction sessions
- Attend and be punctual for all lessons
- Complete all required assignments by the required timeline
- Build up your portfolio of evidence on-going during your apprenticeship programme
- Access support from your tutor/assessor as and when required
- Access support from your manager with regards to any evidence requirements or support as and when required
- Attend all work-based training/support sessions
Requirements and prospects
- Experience in customer service (not essential)
- Must be PC literate
- Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must have a good level of numeracy skills
- Must possess excellent organisational skills and good time management skills
- An enthusiastic individual
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to solve problems at source
- Must be self-driven, genuine with a positive attitude and clear focus
- Must be sufficiently mobile and flexible to work beyond the call of duty to achieve results
- Confident in using email and the internet
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise own workload
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight schedules
- Willing to work effectively in the team
- Flexible approach to work, willing to go the extra mile to get the job done
- Must be punctual as well as having a good attendance record
- Ability to work on own initiative, when required
- Ability to work effectively as both part of a team and as an individual
- Respond positively to the demands of a varied workload
- Friendly and approachable.
- Commitment to undertake continued training and development
- A professional attitude and demeanour
GCSEs at grades C/4 is desirable in maths and English but we will consider applicants who have a 2/E or above or an equivalent Functional/Key Skills qualifications.
We are also happy to consider someone who has the drive and passion to succeed.
No experience needed but a good positive attitude to learn on the job is essential.
After 6 months of initial training at the Branch, if the opportunity arises, you may transfer to another branch.
There is a strong possibility that you will gain a full-time position following successful employment as well as achievement of the full apprenticeship qualification.
There may also be further apprenticeship/other training available following successful employment and achievement of the apprenticeship qualifications.
Things to consider
Please prepare to answer these questions at interview:
- Why do you think you would be good with customers?
- What are you proud of achieving?
- What are your ambitions?
Wage range/hours dependent on the following:
- Hours will be 40 for candidates aged 16 or 17
- Hours will be up to 45 hours for candidates aged 18 or above
40 hours x £5.00 = £200 for candidates aged 16/17
45 hours x £5.00 = £225 for candidates aged 18 or over
The duties required as part of yard operations requires a candidate to lift and carry so you need to be physically fit; you will be loading and unloading stock, undertake a hands-on role assisting customers with their products.
On successful completion of apprenticeship, the rate of pay will increase to £6 per hour after 1 year.
There are good transport links – bus and train stations nearby.
Please check the time it will take for you to travel as well as the cost. There may be a travel allowance available
Requirement to wear personal protective equipment, when required – provided by company.
Following applying for this vacancy the first stage, after your initial application, will be to attend an interview with Nichola Barnes via Zoom. If you do not attend this interview your application will not progress any further.
For any further information on this vacancy please contact Nichola Barnes at Kirklees College on E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Number: 07788390025
Apprenticeship Team: email@example.com
No contact should be made with the employer at this initial stage, the College is more than happy to help you with any queries you may have.
The salary may also increase after a probationary period, if the budget allows, following successful employment and production of the required work towards achieving the qualifications towards the apprenticeship training programme.
This vacancy may close early if sufficient applications are received. Please ensure you apply early to avoid disappointment.
Your employer will allow you time off for study and this will be part of your contract of employment. You should attend all required classes and keep up to date with any set work.
About the employer
The Myers Group is a family-owned group of companies providing products, services, and materials to the construction industry. The Group consists of Johnsons Wellfield Quarries, Ready-mix Huddersfield, Myers Building Supplies, Myers Skip Hire & Myers Timber.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Kirklees College
Nichola Barnes 07788390025 firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner apprenticeship standard.
Overview of Customer Service Practitioner apprenticeship standard:
The role of a customer service practitioner is to deliver high quality products and services to the customers of their organisation. Your core responsibility will be to provide a high-quality service to customers.
The standard covers the following:
- Knowing your customers
- Understanding the organisation
- Meeting regulations and legislation
- Systems and resources
- Your role and responsibility
- Customer experience
- Product and service knowledge
- Interpersonal skills
- Influencing skills
- Personal organisation
- Dealing with customer conflict and challenge
Behaviours / Attitude:
- Developing self
- Being open to feedback
- Team working
- Equality – treating all customers as individuals
- Presentation – dress code, professional language
- “Right first time”
Functional Skills: Level 1 and then L2 in maths and English (Exemptions may apply if Grade A-C/9-4 GCSE, Functional/Key Skills Level 1 or 2 has been achieved).
You will complete an End-Point Assessment (EPA) this will involve the following:
- Practical Observation
- Professional Discussion
You are given one day per week to study; you will attend classes at Kirklees College, Huddersfield Centre as well as meetings via Teams to complete work for your apprenticeship. The study day is a Wednesday.
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.