Apprentice Vehicle Damage Panel Technician Fix Auto Wigan
Fix Auto is offering a fantastic opportunity for an Vehicle Damage Body Technician to join their team in Wigan. As a Vehicle Damage Panel Technician you will work within the Collision Repair workshop, demonstrating expert working knowledge in relation to the removal, repair & replacement of vehicle body panels to vehicle manufacturer specification
Closing date: 10 Feb 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
17 Feb 2022
02 Nov 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Your role includes the technical and practical needs for today’s motor vehicle body repair industry. You will study both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- Materials and consumables
- Removing and fitting non-structural body panels
- Motor vehicle chassis and body alignment, e.g., underbody measurement and its impact on suspension and steering geometry
- Vehicle body types, panel identification, safety systems, materials and alternative fuel
- Use of Body Panel Repair tools, equipment and devices used in the process e.g., alignment jigs, resistance welding equipment, riveting and bonding tools
- Removal and replacement of body panels and associated parts e.g., mechanically fixed components, chemically fixed components
- Interpretation of technical data for joining techniques and replacement panels
- Quality control process and the implications of poor quality
Working for Fix Auto Wigan, the successful candidate will work independently and as part of a team following a defined process, using their skills to correctly identify the different body panel types and have the ability to use the correct repair tools to carry out the work to the highest possible standard.
Duties will include:
- Undertake appropriate job preparation prior to commencing repair, including safety precautions, panel preparation and body measurements
- Identify the material used in the construction to enable the correct joining techniques and manufacturer specifications to be adhered to
- Interpret relevant technical data and methods to make sure that any joints are in line with vehicle manufacturer specification and the vehicle/body panels are aligned correctly
- Ability to identify and understand the correct joining technology
- Remove, repair and replace vehicle body panels and components of the vehicle safely and efficiently
- Operate the correct repair tools, equipment and devices used in the process, panel pulling systems, jig and alignment tools, spot welders, brazing tools
- Identify and communicate supplementary damage such as panels that were deemed to be reparable but once worked on were found to be beyond repair along with damage that could not be established on original inspection
- Ability to detect and rectify faults within a vehicles structure that’s integral to its safety
Training will take place via Emtec, Ruddington on a block release model 8 x per year.
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills
- Some experience within an automotive workshop environment
- A keen interest in and knowledge of the motor vehicle industry
- A passion for the automotive industry
- Mechanically minded with meticulous attention to detail
- The willingness to also undertake basic duties as part of training
- An enthusiasm to learn with an interest in development and progression
- A ‘can do’ attitude
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to use own initiative
- A team player
- A keen interest in classic and performance vehicles is imperative
4 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths and English.
GCSEs (or equivalent) in science and ICT are desirable.
Upon successful completion and review of the apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to gain employment with the business.
About the employer
Fix Auto Wigan is an expert in car body repair and collision repair for all types of vehicles. Our body shop in Wigan guarantees your cars body repair for life. Being part of Fix Auto's international network of body shops, we have established a reputation respected by many insurers. If you are from Wigan or elsewhere, call or visit our repair centre in Wigan for a free estimate on any accident repair or car body repair. Courtesy cars available.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Nottingham College
Nottingham College Apprenticeship Team
Nationally recognised qualifications IMI Level 3 Vehicle Damage Panel technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Functional Skills Level 2 (if required)
Regular review and welfare visits from our assessors who will observe all evidence opportunities that occur naturally in the workplace.
Vehicle damage panel technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.