Level 2 Apprentice Gardener (Trinity Hall) Trinity Hall
As part of the team, you will be responsible for the maintenance and development of the gardens including trees, shrubs and cultivated areas to a high standard, comparable with the best of the Cambridge Colleges. Including 20% “off the job” learning may take place at other sites such as training college or other Cambridge University gardens.
Closing date: 02 Nov 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
08 Nov 2021
21 Sep 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Purpose of the role:
Through training with the gardens team and training provider, acquire the skills to enable you to contribute to the development and maintenance of the gardens at Trinity Hall.
- Cultivation of plants, trees and shrubs in all areas of the gardens
- To participate in the development, maintenance and irrigation of landscaping and planting schemes
- To work effectively with other members of the gardens team
- To maintain turf areas
- To be trained in the safe operation of and to operate a wide range of mowing equipment
- Hedge and topiary cutting
- To collect and dispose of litter in the gardens
- To maintain and cultivate plants grown in the greenhouse and nursery
- To clear fallen leaves
- Maintenance of paths and paved areas, ensuring they are kept free of weeds, debris, algae, snow and ice
- To participate in occasional watering duties at weekends
- To work in a safe manner, complying with current health and safety legislation
- To carry out all work required for the successful completion of the Apprenticeship Scheme
- Any other reasonable duties required by the Head Gardener
Requirements and prospects
- Physically capable of manual work in all weathers
- Some experience of gardening (perhaps at home or with a charitable organisation)
- Willingness to learn and progress through the course of study
- Happy to work closely with other team members to gain the necessary skills
- Polite, friendly and keen to assist
- Smart and tidy appearance
- GCSEs in English and maths at Grade 2/E or above or equivalent qualification
- Candidate must not already hold a level 2 or above in horticulture
- Progression if a suitable position arises
Things to consider
- This is a physically demanding apprenticeship involving manual work. You will be expected to work in all weathers
- Uniform, wet weather gear and PPE will be provided
- KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
About the employer
Trinity Hall is the fifth oldest College in the University of Cambridge. It was founded in 1350 by Bishop Bateman, originally for the study of canon and civil law. The College consists of around 650 students, both undergraduates and graduates across a range of subject, 60 Fellows, 130 staff and 8,000 alumni worldwide. The College is located in central Cambridge by the river, with a further site at Wychfield off Storey’s Way and accommodation on Thompson’s Lane.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by KEITS Training Services Ltd
Heidi Clear and Bethany Wylie email@example.com
- Full training will be provided to support the successful applicant through their Level 2 Horticulture and Landscape Operative Apprenticeship.
- Training will also be provided to support the learner through any Functional Skills required.
Horticulture or landscape operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.