L2 Apprentice Nursery Assistant @ Hargate Primary School Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council
An apprenticeship with Hargate Primary School is the perfect way to help you decide what job you may want in the future. This opportunity will provide real work experience at the same time as gaining qualifications. You will assist with all aspects of organising activities and supervising children within the nursery and outdoor play environment.
Closing date: 04 Jun 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
32.5 hours per week - Monday to Friday. Exact times/shifts to be confirmed.
Total hours per week: 32.5
Possible start date
01 Sep 2023
17 May 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Hargate Primary School is a great place to be - we have a high calibre of staff who strive to make a difference in every child’s life. We are judged as being ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
As a member of the school's nursery team, your main jobs and duties will consist of:
The duties of the post will include:
- The post holder will help support a warm and welcoming environment within a childcare setting, where young children and their families can feel valued and obtain positive help and support
- To assist with all aspects of organising activities and supervising children within the nursery and outdoor play environment
- To help plan and provide stimulating learning experiences enabling young children to grow in confidence and independence
- To monitor and track children’s development and have responsibility for a small key group
- Participate in staff meetings as and when required
- To help provide cover for practitioners within the team as necessary working with all age ranges
- Responsible for ensuring the learning environment is cleaned and tidied at the end of each session
- Adhere to policies and procedures in accordance with OFSTED, with regards to adequate record keeping
- To support the development of strong partnerships with parents/carers and recognise the importance of involving parents/carers in all aspects of a child's work
- To ensure that in line with safeguarding/child protection procedures, all concerns are reported to the appropriate person in a sensitive and confidential manner
It is your responsibility to carry out your duties in line with the School's policy on equality and be sensitive and caring to the needs of the disadvantaged, promoting a positive approach to a harmonious working environment. You should act as an exemplar on these issues and should identify and monitor training for yourself and any employees for whom you are responsible, in line with this policy, the Equality Standard and obligations under the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000.
The post holder must always carry out his/her responsibilities with due regard to the school's policy, organisation and arrangements for Health and Safety at Work.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
At the end you will gain a Level 2 Early Years Practitioner apprenticeship standard.
This will include any Functional Skills as appropriate.
The apprenticeship training will be delivered in the workplace, as you will receive visits from a college assessor. The apprenticeship will also include a proportion of 20% Off The Job Training and a robust programme of Mandatory Apprentice Training provided by Sandwell Council to include Workplace Professionalism and Equality and Diversity.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The post is offered on a fixed-term contract to cover the duration of the apprenticeship training. You will receive support and guidance to identify and apply for any further apprenticeships or internal jobs that you are suitably experienced and qualified for. Our 'Next Steps' workshop will help you to identify the skills that you have gained throughout your apprenticeship in order to update your CV and apply for any opportunities.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A-C*/9-4 or level 2 equivalent) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council
Early years practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.