Degree Apprentice Product Systems Design Engineer CUMMINS POWER GENERATION LIMITED
The Degree Apprentice Product Systems Design Engineer shall work as an integral member of the Global Value Package Introduction (VPI) genset team based at the Cummins facility in Sandwich, Kent as a member of the team to Design, Analyse, Engineer, Develop Test Plans, Validate Test Data, Release Parts & Drawings for Diesel & Gas Generator projects.
Closing date: 31 Jul 2023
Monday to Friday; shifts to be confirmed.
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Sep 2023
26 Jan 2023
Level 6 (Degree with honours)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The role over the four-year term is comprised of secondments across the major engineering functions of the business associated with Product Systems Design Engineering, alongside time in these roles, academic study towards an Engineering Degree BEng (Hons) at MidKent College (Maidstone) and Canterbury Christ Church University shall be completed.
During the secondments increasing levels of responsibility shall be given in line with academic and internal training. The aim is to build deep and wide capability in the technical and commercial aspect of Product System Design Engineering.
- Follow the Higher and Degree Apprenticeship Program, including attendance at MidKent College and CCCU for Academic study
- Through a series of structured secondments develop an appreciation leading to an eventual specialism after the term of the Degree Apprenticeship in the Power Systems Engineering Function
- Join engineering teams in seconded function to take responsibility for aspects of the work including. Analysis, Upstream Influencing, Current Product Support (CPS), Engineering Data Management (EDM), Design (CAD), Controls, 6 Sigma
- Support the wider PowerGen business in activities related to the Diesel and Gas business in related functions including, Current Product Support, HSEQ, Quality, Manufacturing, Product Management
- Working with your Line Manager and Mentor, develop specialism during the four-year degree apprenticeship in one of the functions seconded. For example, this can be any one of, (but not limited to) VPI, CPS, EDM, Design (CAD)
- Continue professional development through reviews with your coach and mentor support network
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 6 Manufacturing Engineer Apprenticeship Standard, which includes:
- BEng (Hons) in Manufacturing Engineering
- Development of knowledge, skills & behaviours required to complete the Manufacturing Engineer apprenticeship standard
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Opportunities to apply for a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
A Level or equivalent Maths - Physics - Engineering (Grade 88 UCAS) Desired
BTEC or equivalent Level 3 Engineering BTEC (Grade 90 Credits) Desired
Other Level 3 Engineering Standard Apprenticeship (Grade Completion) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
CUMMINS POWER GENERATION LIMITED
3rd Floor, The Gateway
Manufacturing engineer (degree)
Level 6 (Degree with honours)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.