Apprentice Activities Assistant MELLIFONT ABBEY LLP
We are looking for an Activities Assistant to work with our elderly residents to support and assist with all recreational activities and planned events.
Closing date: 09 Aug 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
17 Aug 2017
16 Jun 2016
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
We are looking for an Activities Assistant to work with our elderly residents to support and assist with all recreational activities and planned events. You will be supervised by our Activities Coordinator.
- You will help plan and organise scheduled activities on a daily basis to provide and deliver a variety of activities to help stimulate the resident’s mental and physical wellbeing.
- You will make unique, detailed and personalised activity plans that will be reviewed and updated periodically, in line with the resident’s needs and preferences. Identifying the needs of our residents will also be collated by meeting with the staff team and their families.
- You will assist in the planning of programs that can include arts, crafts, music, exercise, games and events.
- You may need to contact outside recreation providers, such as, musicians, movie theatres and museums to develop programs for our residents.
You will need to have patience, be approachable, compassionate, good communication skills as you will be working in a multiple disciplinary environment, and practice continual monitoring of resident’s mental and cognitive abilities in order to amend activities and maximise beneficial effect.
Duties and Responsibilities of an Activity Assistant:
- Encouraging participants to make choices for themselves
- Presenting programs in front of a group of participants
- Encouraging social exchange with staff and other participants
- Assisting in various small group activities
- Assisting the Activity Coordinator in creating and planning activities
- Participating in meetings
- Responding to management direction
- Conducting assessments
- Reordering equipment or supplies used for activities and plans
- Ensuring that the equipment is functional and other related activities
- Assisting in planning and organising day trips/events to help stimulate mental and cognitive ability.
- Contribute to individualised care plan and adjust activities where and when necessary.
- Assist with risk assessments
- Undertake delegated work while mentored by senior staff to assist in the provision of individualised planned resident care.
- Use a degree of initiative to ensure the residents’ personal needs are met, and the residents’ condition is reported to qualified staff
Requirements and prospects
- To have a patient, caring nature and enthusiasm to care for the elderly.
- To be approachable and friendly and be able to communicate well with the residents in a respectful manner.
- To have good planning and logistical skills.
- An interest in and knowledge of leisure activities that are age appropriate.
- To have a keen willingness to learn.
Things to consider
About the employer
- Level 2 Activity Leadership
- Maths and English Functional Skills
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Strode College
Trudi Gunning - 01458 844499
You may be required to be active for long periods of time. Activities may take place outdoor and may be for long periods of time, irrespective of the weather. You may need to be prepared to carry equipment. The working environment, the duties and responsibilities may vary from time to time.
Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage (ANMW): The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £3.30 per hour (From October 1st 2016 this will be increasing by 3% to £3.40 per hour). This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
Training on the Apprenticeships Programme for 16 to 18 year olds is a priority and fully-funded by Government. Training for Apprenticeships for those over this age is part funded, with employers expected to make a part or full contribution.
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 09 Aug 2017