A great opportunity to join a friendly, professional team at The Winterbourne Arms to become an Apprentice Commis Chef. You’ll need to be passionate about food and professional cookery, have plenty of stamina, and be able to learn on your feet.
Apprentice Commis Chef
The Winterbourne Arms
Closing date: 01 May 2017
35-40 hours over 4 split shifts Monday-Saturday,
Typically 14 Months
Possible start date
02 May 2017
06 May 2016
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Take your first rung on the ladder to becoming a great chef at our popular gastro-pub, where we prepare high quality fresh food daily. You’ll prepare and cook food under the direct supervision of our highly trained and experienced head chef.
We offer an excellent service to our guests along with delicious fresh food
The Winterbourne Arms is a friendly and enjoyable place to work. We’d love to hear from enthusiastic and hardworking individuals with a keen interest in professional cookery.
You will work with the kitchen team to ensure that we deliver a high quality service, high quality food, and to enable our guests to have an enjoyable and memorable experience with us.
Main duties will include;
- Supporting the team in making use of fresh produce every day to create appealing dishes
- Working as a member of the kitchen team to ensure that all areas are kept to an excellent standard of cleanliness, hygiene and safety
- Assisting the preparation, production and delivery of food to our guests, aiming to have them leave with a huge smile
- Gaining experience in all aspects of the kitchen – meat, fish, pastry, vegetarian cookery and more.
Requirements and prospects
Previous kitchen experience preferred but not essential.
- Hard Working
- Forward Thinking
- Good Listener
5 GCSEs at Grade D or higher including Maths and English (or equivalent).
With this qualification and with our training there are a number of opportunities for you.
The jobs you could progress to in your career include, Chef de partie, Sous Chef, Head Chef.
Things to consider
- The weekly salary is dependent on experience and skills and will be above the statutory minimum wage according to ability.
- You will also receive a share of tips too!
- The working hours are 35-40 hours over 4 split shifts Monday-Saturday: Starts from 9:30am and 5:30pm, Sundays: 9:30am-3pm
- Please consider how you will travel to and from work. To apply, you must have transport to RG20 8BB.
About the employer
Food-led bar and restaurant in an idyllic location close to the M4/A34 intersection. We’ve a reputation for outstanding food and excellent service in a friendly, relaxed environment.
On-the-job training will be provided to achieve all aspects of the role requirements. On-going support will be offered by your Line Manager and your Newbury College Assessor to achieve the Apprenticeship.
The Apprenticeship will include:
- Competency Based Element: NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Knowledge Based Element: Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery)
- Functional Skills in Maths & English (Both Level 1)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Catering and Professional Chefs
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Newbury College
Stefanie Josey / T: 01635 845229 / E: email@example.com
The current National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £3.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Wage for apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent training.
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 01 May 2017