Agriculture Apprentice C Highmoor
A farm in St. Wenn, Bodmin is delighted to be able to offer an interested, reliable and motivated individual the opportunity to work on their farm. Livestock duties will be the primary focus.
Closing date: 27 Aug 2017
Total hours per week: 37.00
12 to 15 months
Possible start date
01 Sep 2017
04 Sep 2015
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
An apprentice is needed to support in a variety of practical tasks involved in the care and management of their 900 ewes.
There is also the opportunity to assist with some of their poultry duties.
- Tractor work will be minimal.
- Typical tasks will include:
- Provision of food and water.
- Assisting with health checks and vaccinations
- Cleaning animal housing.
- Preparing bedding
- Tractor driving (when trained)
- Scraping the yard
- General farm duties, such as fencing.
Requirements and prospects
- The employer is happy that agriculture skills can be gradually built up, as full training will be given on the job.
- Farm, livestock or animal care knowledge / experience will naturally be an advantage. Interest is essential.
Applicants are expected to be:
- Eager to learn
- Positive in attitude
- Good with your hands
- Happy to work outdoors in all weathers
- Able to show physical strength of character and resilience for the role
- Wishing to build a career in the agriculture industry
- Have a affinity with animals.
- A proactive approach is needed, having confidence to work alongside others and being able to work on your own initiative.
- 2 GCSEs at grade D or above (or equivalent) are essential – however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications will be considered, and must be prepared to work towards a level 1 functional skills qualification in English and Maths.
- A driving license is helpful but is not essential, as long as you are able to get to and from the employer reliably and access Duchy College Rosewarne for your training.
Things to consider
- The role can be physically demanding and you could be on your feet all day in varying weather conditions.
- This farm is in a rural location with minimal public service transport links. Applicants will need to ensure that they have suitable travel arrangements in place to enable your reliably.
About the employer
- On-the-job training will be provided by experienced staff at the workplace, with traditional college attendance at Duchy College Rosewarne one day per week.
The apprenticeship training is overseen by Duchy College and you will undertake the Work Based Diploma level 2 in agriculture, including:
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Functional Skills in Maths and English.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Duchy College
Recruitment team 01726 226447
- This position is available for an immediate start. The vacancy may therefore close swiftly IF a suitable candidate is found.
- All published dates can therefore be flexible and will be dependent on suitable candidates coming forward and registering appropriate interest.
With effect from October 1st 2015 the National Minimum Wage (NMW) for Apprentices is £3.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the National Minimum Wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent training.
- Working hours are likely to start at 8.00am during the weekdays, although this will be discussed in full at interview. Flexibility is naturally important.
- This employer would be happy to consider all candidates, including those at the start of their career.
- A weekend role at national minimum wage could also be supported, prior to the formal apprenticeship start.
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 27 Aug 2017