Asset Management Higher Apprentice (Warwick), Electricity Transmission NATIONAL GRID PLC

Would you like to work for a company that makes electricity happen for every single person in England and Wales? A company that invests billions in Net Zero and creating a brighter energy future? On this apprenticeship you will be working towards a HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

This apprenticeship requires you to apply through the employer's website.

Apply now

Closing date: 08 Mar 2024

Apprenticeship summary

  • Annual wage


    You’ll get 26 days annual leave plus statutory holidays We have a double-matched pension contribution scheme There is the option to buy discounted National Grid shares We will pay for one professional membership subscription

  • Working week

    Monday - Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm

    Total hours per week: 37.5

  • Expected duration

    36 Months

  • Possible start date

    09 Sep 2024

  • Date posted

    01 Feb 2024

  • Apprenticeship level

    Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)

  • Reference number


  • Positions

    2 available

What you will do in your working day

Ensuring the future of electricity transmission 

We don’t think of engineering as a job, we think of it as a legacy. A way of passing on a brighter energy future and keeping the lights on.  

Would you like to be part of it? 

Our three year Higher Apprenticeship Asset Management will teach you how to:

  • Look after things like overhead lines, pylons, underground cables, and transmission substations
  • You’ll be drilling down into the detail on specific subjects
  • You will  learn how to provide technical advice and engineering support for our assets across the entire network, making significant decisions and influencing their execution

The training you will be getting

  • Initially you will be at our National Training Centre in Eakring, Nottinghamshire for your Induction period which is around six weeks, then periodically for technical training
  • In the first year, you will spend 70% of your time at the Eakring Training Centre with the remaining 30% on site (gathering site-based experience)
  • Year two will be 50/50 at Eakring and on site and in the
    third year 70% on site and 30% at Eakring training centre
  • You will get a HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship

  • At the end of the programme, you’ll have a job waiting for you as a Transmission Engineer

Requirements and prospects

Desired skills and personal qualities

Communication skills, Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Patience, Physical fitness, Reliable, Adaptable, Responsible, Safety


GCSE or equivalent 5 GCSES (or equivalent) incl. Maths and English (Grade 4 and above) Essential
A Level or equivalent 2 A-Levels incl either Maths or Physics (Grade A* - C) Desired
BTEC or equivalent Level 3 engineering qualification (Grade Merit or Distinction) Desired

Things to consider

You must be able to live away from home; primarily at our Eakring academy in Nottinghamshire. Food and accommodation are provided as standard.

About the employer

National Grid is at the heart of the energy future, and our people are at the heart of National Grid. We’re 30,000 colleagues strong.  In the UK, National Grid don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt. The world of energy is changing beyond recognition as we focus on building a cleaner, greener future. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.




Warwick Technology Park, Gallows Hill


CV34 6DA


You must have JavaScript enabled to view a map of the location


Training provider


Adjustments for experience

You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:

  • training
  • qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
  • industry or sector experience

Apprenticeship standard

Electrical power networks engineer

Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)

Demonstrating experience

If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.

You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications

Employer's Application Instructions

This apprenticeship requires you to apply through the employer's website.

Apply now

Closing date: 08 Mar 2024