The successful applicant must be able to work well within a small, skilled team at a local, independent village butchers. With 4 highly-skilled and experienced butchers onsite, we are eager to support and train the next generation in a life-long trade with further opportunities for potential progression.
Closing date: 13 Jan 2024
£10,982.40 to £21,673.60
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
14 Jan 2024
13 Nov 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
The Apprentice Butcher will learn to be a highly skilled butcher. You will keep the shop looking pristine, sort the fridges to help maintain a high efficiency and safe environment.
You will learn the skills of a butcher whilst using meat grinders, knives, saws and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions. You will also perform quality inspections, weigh, price and package cuts.
You will speak to customers to determine their needs and provide advice as appropriate. You will assist with coordination of pickups or deliveries and delivery orders as needed.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive
- Keep the fridges sorted and cleaned to help keep product and work efficiency high
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products
- Weighing, packaging, pricing and displaying products
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments
- Seek out new opportunities to learn and grow as a butcher as time and business needs permit
The training you will be getting
- Butcher Standards Level 2 Qualification
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Health and Safety
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Knife Skills
- Level 1/2 Functional skills in English and maths if required
- Training and training location to be confirmed
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Full-time employment with the Village Butchers.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
MEAT EAST ANGLIA TRADES (IPSWICH) LIMITED
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.