Ref: CC08 Early Years Apprentice level 2 or 3 at Gelston Manor Day Nursery Gelston Manor Day Nursery
Be a part of the nursery team and learn and work alongside practitioners, follow the routines of the nursery day and understand how to plan in the moment and cater for the children’s needs, interests, learning and development. Learn how to use the nursery curriculum and assessment process to understand areas of development to support.
Closing date: 01 Apr 2024
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
08 Apr 2024
17 Nov 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
To acquire skills to understand children in nursery, plan for their learning needs and future development. Provide a safe, high-quality education and become part of team working alongside trained professionals.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. Develop a partnership between you, the staff in the classroom and management which will be connected by good quality communication to keep everyone connected.
2. Course work must be completed in a timely manner.
3. To work flexibly as part of a larger team, assisting and supporting colleagues wherever required, in order to ensure the smooth running of the nursery.
4. Provide high quality care and education to all children in the setting.
Contribute to effective teamwork and positive relationships by;
5. Reflect upon your own practice daily with the support of the practitioners working alongside you
6. Learn from each other, take on advice given and feedback to help improve practice.
7. Ensure daily tasks are being distributed evenly between all staff and each person takes on a fair and even workload to maintain the upkeep of the classroom
8. To be part of a team that provides purposeful, stimulating environment that is rich in learning opportunities, both indoors and outdoors. The environment should take into account children’s abilities, interests, language and cultural backgrounds.
9. To embrace, understand and promote Gelston Manor Day Nursery and the role you play as part of the team which provide high levels of care and education.
10. Promote positive relationships in the early years setting.
11. Work towards becoming a key person to 2 or 3 children and carry out key person responsibilities such as building relationships with the children and their families.
12. Key persons are responsible for ensuring key children have an appropriate, achievable goal for development where planning, assessment and reflection happens on a continued loop.
13. Continual communication between keyworker and parents on a daily basis to be effective, positive, meaningful and professional.
Children’s information, documentation and curriculum.
14. Daily dairies to be filled out on the nursery app and on daily records for the room where appropriate.
15. Photos to be taken of key children and children in the classroom to be published to their parents showing development, interest and curiosity.
16. Fill out 6 weekly summaries for key children and passed on to parents to read and sign. These to be checked by room leader before published.
17. To complete appropriate paperwork regarding health care routines within the classrooms recording children’s sleeps, nappies and bottle feeds where appropriate.
18. Complete 2 years checks in Otters and Owlets where appropriate, these must be checked by room leader before being published to parents to sign.
19. To fill out accident, existing injuries and incident forms where needed. These are to be over seen by room leaders until confident to fill out independently.
20. If needed, fill out safeguarding forms accompanied by a senior member of staff.
Policies and Procedures:
21. To reinforce the settings policies and procedures at all times, if breaches are noted these are to be reported to management immediately.
22. To ensure you have a working knowledge of all aspects of health and safety and risk assessments that are in place.
23. Ensure all Safeguarding procedures are followed in line with local authority and nursery policies.
24. Respond appropriately to issues regarding confidentiality.
25. Work in partnership to ensure standards are continually being met in line with Ofsted requirements and the EYFS.
26. Reflect on daily practice and identify areas for continual improvement.
The training you will be getting
Early Years Practitioner - level 2. This Apprenticeship is completed within the workplace. You will be assessed through written work, verbal discussion and observation throughout your training. You will be given time by your employer to complete portfolio work, attend training, workplace shadowing and any other opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Progression to a level 3 apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Any (Grade A*-D/ 9-3) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade A*-D/ 9-3) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A*-D/ 9-3) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Gelston Manor Day Nursery
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Early years practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.