Based at sites in Manchester and Leicester, IST Power is a renowned specialist transformer manufacturer engaged in the design, engineering, manufacture and supply of a wide range of transformers, reactors and other wound components. There is plenty of scope for our apprentices to “grow” into almost any role in the company!
Closing date: 17 Dec 2023
Total hours per week: 37.0
Possible start date
04 Jan 2024
18 Oct 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
Our product range is specialised yet vast, so the work and constant training is both challenging and interesting. The role should be seen as a “career” rather than “a job” and we will provide the framework and training to support your learning journey with us.
You will be trained to:
- Read & interpret engineering drawings
- Understand bills of material
- Use appropriate tools, equipment & materials to perform an engineering task
- Understand & work to the ISO9001:2015 Quality process
- Own and control quality and engineering documents
- Dry, process & (vacuum) fill transformers
- Complete basic wiring processes
- Perform a pressure test
- Perform basic soldering, brazing and welding techniques
- Pack and complete a final inspection
The training you will be getting
Level 2 Engineering Operative apprenticeship standard to include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering Operations (Skills) - Practical Skills Training
- Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations (Knowledge) - Theoretical Knowledge
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
The Skills and Knowledge element of the programme will be delivered at The STEGTA Training Centre based in Flixton, Manchester.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Almost all of our recruits started their journey “on the shopfloor” – understanding how transformers are wound, processed, built & tested, they have then become:
- Coil winders
- Assembly technicians
- Wiring specialists
Some have also progressed into engineering, materials & supervisory roles.
Further training would be provided if applicable to their role or future development in the company.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
SALFORD AND TRAFFORD ENGINEERING GROUP TRAINING ASSOCIATION LIMITED
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.