We have an exciting opportunity for a Horticulture Apprenticeship. You'll join the Council's Grounds maintenance team to start your career in Horticulture. You'll undertake a range of horticulture and grounds maintenance duties, in Falmouth's cemeteries, parks and gardens, that will benefit residents and visitors.
Closing date: 11 Dec 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.0
Possible start date
08 Jan 2024
11 Oct 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
You'll undertake a range of horticulture and grounds maintenance duties principally in Falmouth cemeteries where you'll be based, and on occasions in the town's parks and gardens, that will benefit residents and visitors. You'll gain valuable experience and knowledge in horticulture and be supported to achieve your apprenticeship with on and off the job training.
You'll support the Grounds team with horticulture and landscape tasks including:
- Working with the team to maintain a range of outside spaces for residents and visitors
- Planting and turfing, grass cutting and tree works
- Propagation and nursery tasks
- Weed and pest control
- Vegetation management
- Hard landscaping
You will undertake regular on and off the job training and you need to be able to travel to Duchy College Rosewarne one day a week.
The training you will be getting
- You will be working towards a Horticulture & Landscape Operative Intermediate Apprenticeship Level 2 which includes;
- Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- Lantra Awards Level 2 Award in Safe Use of Pesticides OR City and Guilds Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides
- Lantra Awards Level 2 Award in the Safe Application of Pesticide Using Hand Held Equipment OR City and Guilds Level 2 Award In The Safe Application of Pesticides Using Pedestrian Hand Held Equipment
- City and Guilds NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in the Safe Use of Abrasive Wheel Machines or Lantra Abrasive Wheel Machines Course
- Functional skills level 2 in English and maths is also required for applicants with less than a grade 4/D
- Training will be provided by Duchy College, Rosewarne, Camborne.
- Training will be one day a week.
- You will receive on and off the job training and support from an assessor and your employer.
- You’ll also be trained to use plant and machinery including a ride-on mower, mini digger, dumper and pedestrian machinery.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
You will be given the support to develop your skills to gain a full-time role in horticulture with Falmouth Town Council at the end of your apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
About the employer
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Horticulture or landscape construction operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.