We are recruiting for an Apprentice Commis Chef to join our established and well-respected catering team. Selwyn College is a beautiful college in a convenient location with good transport links. It has a reputation for friendliness and good food.
Closing date: 05 Jan 2024
£10,296.00 to £20,319.00
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
30 Jan 2024
11 Oct 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
Under the direction of the Head Chef and Deputy Head Chef, the Apprentice Commis Chef will:
- Work with the Section Chefs to provide consistently high-quality food
- Contribute to the introduction of innovative dishes to enhance the overall dining experience for our customers.
- Word to tight deadlines while providing excellent service at all times
Applicants must be able to demonstrate a keen interest in food. If you have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and are the kind of person who jumps in to help to ensure service is never compromised, we would love to meet you.
The training you will be getting
- Commis chef Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
- The Apprentice will work towards the achievement of NVQ level 2 Food Preparation & Cooking to gain a recognised technical certificate
- This is expected to take an average ½-1 day per week but will include on the job training
- The Apprentice will receive in-house training which will include: Food Safety Training, Health and Safety training to minimise occupational risks and will include manual handling and COSHH training
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Upon successful completion of this apprenticeship, further opportunities may be available to you within the company, but the experience and skills gained should prepare you for future progression within the industry
- Completion of the apprenticeship standard whilst work experience working in a kitchen environment
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
About the employer
CAMBRIDGE REGIONAL COLLEGE
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.