Apprentice Digital Design Technician STRUCTURAL METAL DECKS LIMITED
This role focusses on the use of computer-aided design software to generate fully working steel decking installation drawings used in the construction industry. This is an opportunity to join SMD Stockyards Ltd. You will be part of the design and estimating team, responsible for producing CAD drawings in 2D.
Closing date: today
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
16 Oct 2023
11 Sep 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
This is an opportunity to join SMD Stockyards Ltd. You will be part of the design and estimating team, responsible for producing CAD drawings in 2D. For the right person, there is the opportunity to develop skills in design and drawing techniques within a fast-paced, busy workplace. On completion of your apprenticeship, you will be able to produce drawings and designs to industry standards and regulations.
As an Apprentice, you will undertake a programme of learning. This is not only where you learn how to use the CAD software for this role, but also the underpinning knowledge that will enable you to undertake the role required of you by your employer.
Day-to-day tasks would include:
- Using CAD software to design detailed steel floor decking drawings
- Communicating these drawings with colleagues, customers, and clients
- Take-offs from drawings received to allow the preparation of estimates
- Attending site meetings via teams, as and when required
- Building knowledge and understanding of the product
- Learning how to use software and applying this to the product manufactured
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The qualification you will get is:
- Engineering Design & Draughtsperson Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English, if required
You will learn how to:
- The apprentice will be trained in aspects of disciplines such as principles of design, identifying and analyse design options and selecting the appropriate design, types of drawings and specifications, characteristics of materials, producing drawings using appropriate computer-aided design packages such as AutoCAD, Revit and/or Tekla and abbreviations and symbols used in design and draughting.
How it will be delivered:
- 2 ½ Year Apprenticeship Programme
- Design and Draught Skills, Knowledge & Behaviours – delivered in the workplace
- Level 3 BTEC in Construction and the Built Environment – Day Release or Remote Delivery (Optional Qualification)
- Specialist Training Programme Blocks of your choice
- End Point Assessment – Knowledge Test, Practical Test and Presentation/Interview
Apprentices must show commitment to the following:
- To achieve apprenticeship standard within the specified time frame
- Attend the apprenticeship induction programme
- Attend all of the training sessions for the programme whenever necessary
- Undertake any other required development work as part of the apprenticeship programme as requested
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by senior staff.
Please provide a mobile telephone number on your application. If successful, an invitation via text message will be sent to you, to attend an approval session for the apprenticeship programme.
It is essential you attend this interview to process your application in full.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Once you have completed your apprenticeship, you will have the chance to work as a qualified digital engineering technician, which in turn can lead on to design office manager or other senior level roles within the organisation
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A* - C or 4 - 9) Essential
About the employer
T3 TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT LTD
Engineering design and draughtsperson
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.