Apprentice Clinical Coding Administrator Downs Way Medical Practice
Following the centralisation of the telephone team last year, the admin team has been reshuffled, to create a separate coding team. This is a new and exciting opportunity to learn about medical terminology and code records/letters etc to benefit both patient care and population health management for the future of the NHS.
Closing date: 29 Sep 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
02 Oct 2023
29 Aug 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
· This apprenticeship is for a new role, of clinical coder.
· Currently, all correspondence received from hospitals, specialists and patients is seen by the GP’s and coded appropriately into the patient record.
· In order to free up GP’s to deal with more direct patient care, the coding of these items is being moved to a back office function.
· The coder will need to interpret and understand the letters, before coding them into the patient record, only then forwarding for the GP’s to deal with any correspondence where they need to take action (for example a change in medication requested by a consultant.)
· The role will be based at the main site at Istead Rise.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Business Administration Level 3 apprenticeship standard with Clinical Coding Overlay.
- On the job training will be provided to cover all of the statutory and mandatory training items, plus an understanding of the clinical computer system along with detailed training on SNOMED (the coding system) and it’s application in general practice.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
There will be an ongoing need (which will grow over time as more work is delegated by the GP’s) so there is (as far as can be predicted at this time) certainty of having a role at the completion of the apprenticeship. (The practice has many years of experience with apprentices and has been able to offer a substantive position to every one of the previous completers.)
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 or Above) Desired
About the employer
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.