The successful candidate will gain experience within a construction site environment as a groundworker, with the support and guidance of experienced individuals. The role will include assisting in the preparation of construction sites, ensuring that they are safe and ready for work.
Closing date: 13 Oct 2023
*Wages:* £211.20 per week. Any overtime above the 40 hours per week, will be paid at the appropriate national minimum wage depending on age.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.0
Possible start date
16 Oct 2023
24 Aug 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Adhere to health and safety regulations, including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and safe working practices
- Learn and apply industry-specific techniques, skills and tools under the guidance of experienced professionals. Assist in the preparation of construction sites, ensuring that they are safe and ready for work
- Help with excavation and earthmoving tasks, using hand tools, machinery and equipment as required
- Support the installation and maintenance of drainage systems, including pipes, culverts and manholes
- Aid in the laying of foundations, including concrete pouring and leveling
- Assist in the construction of retaining walls, pathways and other structures using appropriate materials
- Participate in the installation of utilities, such as water and sewer lines, electrical conduits and communication cables
- Help with the placement and compaction of backfill materials to ensure stability and proper drainage
- Assist in the preparation and installation of paving, including the handling of paving stones, concrete or asphalt
- Support the team in maintaining and repairing existing groundworks, as required
- Attend training sessions, workshops and educational programmes to enhance knowledge and skills related to groundworks
- Maintain a clean and organised work area, ensuring that tools and equipment are properly stored
- Collaborate effectively with team members, communicating progress, challenges and suggestions for improvement
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The apprenticeship in groundworks consists of:
- Level 2 Groundworker Apprenticeship Standard
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- Functional skills maths and English, if required
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical.
As an additional qualification, you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificate, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of your apprenticeship, Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
On completion of your level 2 apprenticeship with the company, the right candidate may have the opportunity to progress within the company.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade Grade 9-1 equivalent to A*-G) Desired
About the employer
XCAV8 (SW) LTD
SKILLS TO GROUP LIMITED
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.