Apprentice Mechanical/Tooling Design Engineer PACKAGING AUTOMATION LIMITED
Packaging Automation, Knutsford is a leading manufacturer of packaging machinery. The business is now searching for a hardworking and reliable person to join their business as an apprentice mechanical/tooling design engineer to train and learn to design all mechanical parts and tooling for Packaging Automation's equipment. You will liaise with shop floor to relay accurate machine and tooling build information and receive feedback from machine and tooling build and rectify any action points and produce component drawings for all machined and fabricated items.
Closing date: 15 Oct 2023
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
23 Oct 2023
14 Aug 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
To train and learn to design all mechanical parts and tooling for packaging automation's equipment in accordance with customer requirements and current legislative and directive guidelines.
- Ensure the accurate and timely production of mechanical and tooling assemblies upon instruction from head of design in accordance with the customer requirements
- Ensure that all designs adhere to the relevant CE machinery directives
- Liaise with both sales and projects to ensure the design meets the agreed specification
- Liaise with CNC programmer to ensure efficient manufacture of both mechanical and tooling components
- To produce accurate trial plate, film layout and detailed tooling drawings of both PA and competitors tooling to meet the demands of the customer
- Produce full machine and proposal layout drawings
- Liaise with systems design engineers to ensure the machine design is electrically and mechanically compatible
- Liaise with shop floor to relay accurate machine and tooling build information
- Receive feedback from machine and tooling build and rectify any action points
- Produce component drawings for all machined and fabricated items and liaise with production to ensure the accurate relay of mechanical build information
- Understand the importance of quality work and maintain agreed working standards to ensure work is produced to get it right first time
- Adhere to the company's continuous improvement programme and contribute daily to team meetings
- Offer ideas of improving working practices, identify potential issues and offer cost effective solutions
- Ensure that all documentation and information is maintained and stored on a day-to-day basis and in the appropriate manner
- Assist customers and colleagues with problems that arise offering practical and appropriate solutions
- Deal professionally, competently, and courteously with customers, suppliers and colleagues in verbal and written communications
- Pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard - Product Design & Development Technician pathway, includes release at college in Crewe for practical training for the first two years
- Dedicated mentor for on-the-job training
- Regular progress reviews
After a period of foundation skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
After a further period of skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) – Product Design and Development
- Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Full-time position for the right candidate following successful completion of the apprenticeship process and based on company finances at the time.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Mathematics (Grade 4) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
PACKAGING AUTOMATION LIMITED
TOTAL PEOPLE LIMITED
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.