A brilliant opportunity has arisen with Firsteel for an apprentice to join the Technical/Quality team. Duties include learning the quality management system of the company and you will be taught the testing activities in the laboratory to ensure customer product quality standards are achieved. Could this be the role you're looking for? Apply now!
Closing date: 01 Dec 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
05 Dec 2023
15 Sep 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What you will do in your working day
Reporting to the Technical Manager, the job holder will be part of the Technical/Quality department. The role will be supported by the Technical Manager, learning the quality management system of the company and will be taught the testing activities in the laboratory and where applicable on the coating line to ensure customer product quality standards are achieved.
The apprentice will learn all aspects of the technical department, how to Produce weekly, monthly and annual summaries of business performance with respect to non-conforming product KPI’s, Ensure preventive and corrective actions are closed out and implemented in a timely manner and that they are effective, they will Promote the Quality/Environmental/H&S management systems maintaining documentation and records to support investigations and demonstrate compliance.
Responsible for ensuring that a tidy workplace is maintained and for meeting Personal and Company Health and Safety requirements.
- Set and work towards achieving objectives and targets for the Technical/Quality department
- Improve Internal / Customer / Supplier Quality Performance and ensure the promotion of awareness of customer requirements throughout the organisation
- Produce summary reports on the performance of the Quality management System at prescribed intervals
- Ensure that all personnel have access to the QA information to support in achieving the company objectives
- Assist with new product development testing or investigations into non-conforming product to help to formulate corrective actions providing test reports when required
- Testing of incoming metal and Pre-Batch Testing of incoming paints where applicable
- Produce Customer Test Certificate to BSEN 10204 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 AND 3.2- on request from Sales. Retain electronic copies of all Test Certificates issued
- Review Calibration Records monthly and schedule equipment for calibration as required, carry out calibration on those equipment’s identified for internal calibration. Organise external calibration and servicing of equipment outside of our capability
- Paint and Chemical TDS and MSDS files- maintain TDS and MSDS files in the lab, request TDS and MSDS from suppliers for all new paints and chemicals. Learn to Perform COSHH assessment
- Analyse paint usage data using available information
- Assist in product and process development projects- preparation of Lab Specimens, help develop special testing procedures, assist developing product and process specifications, test and assess new materials
The training you will be getting
- Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
- Maths and English functional skills where required
You will be required to attend Walsall College WS2 8ES Portland Street campus one full day week.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- To be decided upon completion of training
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Level 3 (A level)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.