Apprentice Dog Care Assistant MACFARLANE CANINE SERVICES LIMITED
Macfarlane Canine Services are recruiting an Apprentice Dog Care Assistant to work in their thriving Dog Care, Behaviour & Training Centre. Working within the friendly, doggy day care team, this is a fantastic opportunity. Licenced by Fylde Borough Council with the highest possible 5* rating, they are a leader within the dog care industry. Undertake laundry duties and any other reasonable duties within the Centre
Closing date: 31 Dec 2023
Company pension, employee assistance programme and on-site parking
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
01 Jan 2024
08 Aug 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
At Macfarlane Canine Services, all the dogs are welcomed into carefully chosen social groups of similar size, play styles and energy levels and it is the Dog Care Assistant’s responsibility to ensure that the physical and emotional needs of all the dogs in their care are met.
Dogs arrive at the Centre at 8am and go home by 6pm. Throughout the day they are supervised during an array of different social group activities that allow for natural expression of canine behaviour, including play, individual choice and the provision of rest.
Under the supportive guidance of skilled and knowledgeable industry professionals the successful candidate will learn the necessary skills required for the role, including:
- Active supervision and management of dog social groups, including anticipation of behaviours
- Physical examination and grooming of different breeds of dog
- Canine body language, dog behaviour and social group dynamics
- How to plan and implement environmental enrichment activities and reward-based training sessions
- How to prepare food and frozen Kongs, and feeding the dogs
- How to facilitate the successful introduction of each dog into the social groups
The successful candidate will:
- Understand the physical nature of the role
- Maintain the highest standards of hygiene and presentation by cleaning and disinfecting all areas within and surrounding the Centre, including toilets and reception area
- Undertake laundry duties and any other reasonable duties within the Centre
- Have the drive and determination to learn and achieve the skills to be proficient in their role and take full advantage of in-house training opportunities
- Establish good relations with clients
- Follow all Health & Safety procedures
- Follow written and verbal instructions accurately
The training you will be getting
Training will be provided by Myerscough College working towards an Apprenticeship qualification as an Animal Care & Welfare Assistant (Level 2), through a work-based blended delivery programme consisting predominantly of on-site training and assessment within the workplace.
Apprentices without level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for level 2 English and Maths prior to taking the end-point assessment
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Upon completion of the apprenticeship there is no guarantee of any further employment however, the experience gained on this Apprenticeship will allow you to apply for further roles within this sector.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Animal care and welfare assistant
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.