We are looking for an apprentice butcher. Our shop is very busy and fast passed, we feel this would set a young person learning a new skill up for life with qualities that will make you very employable. We will teach all aspects of the butchery trade, Including boning out animals, cutting high quality cuts and serving customers.
Closing date: 20 Mar 2024
Wages to be discussed at interview stage.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.0
Possible start date
20 Apr 2024
17 Jul 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
- Serving customers
- Learning the butchery skill
- Stock rotation
- Heath and safety (haccap)
- Using machinery associated with butchery
- Knife skills
- Customer service skills
- Quality control
The training you will be getting
- The butchery apprenticeship training will take place 1 day a week at Reaseheath College. This will be 12 to 18 months depending on previous experience
- At the end of this apprenticeship you will achieve an intermediate apprenticeship in Level 2 butchery and Apprentices must achieve Level 2 Food Safety Award, Level 2 Health & Safety in the Food Supply Chain Award, and Level 2 Knife Skills Award prior to taking the end-point assessment
- Apprentices without functional skills level 1 or equivalent English and mathematics will need to achieve this level and take the test for level 2 English and mathematics prior to taking the end-point assessment
- Progression after achieving the Level 2 Apprenticeship candidates can progress through to a Level 3 advanced apprenticeship in butchery
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- You will finish your course with a qualification in butchery learnt in a busy environment, which would enable you to get a job in most butchers
- A successful candidate will have a full-time position offered to them after passing the course. Hours will be subject to the needs of the business
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
Shukers Farm Shop
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.