Dispensing Analyst & Laboratory Technician Apprentice ORCHID CELLMARK LTD
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Cellmark Forensic Services, to train to be a Laboratory Technician and Dispensing Analyst. Using cutting edge technology, you will be part of the Toxicology team who provide police forces with high quality, specialist forensic services.
Closing date: 30 Jun 2023
£10,296.00 to £20,319.00
Wage is dependent on age - 18-20 year olds - £14605.50 21-22 year olds - £19851.00 Over 23s - £20319
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday. Start/finish times to be agreed but between 0730 to 1730 hours with either a half an hour or one hour lunchbreak (upon preference). Study leave to attend external training as part of the apprenticeship programme.
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
04 Sep 2023
10 May 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Reporting to the Toxicology Apprentice Mentor, some of your key duties will include:
- Check, examine and prepare bodily fluids and hair samples, ready for extraction (to include witnessing of other colleagues’ work)
- Update LIMS systems and process documentation to allow accurate monitoring and rapid progression of workflow (to include batch making for extraction)
- Assessment of paperwork to determine work required (predominantly for Road Traffic Act cases)
- Administration tasks, to include (but not limited to) examination queries, work request queries and hair faulting
- Preparation of laboratory solutions, calibrators and quality control samples
- Efficient stock control and ordering of non-stock items
- General housekeeping of laboratory areas including disposal of dry and wet chemical hazard waste
- Other general laboratory duties to include (but not limited to) glassware washing, cleaning of equipment used for hair cutting and weekly pipette calibration.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Through the training provider, CSR Scientific Training, you will undertake a Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship which will include:
- Fully recognised apprenticeship qualification - Level 3 Laboratory Technician
- On-the-job competency training
- Training will be delivered online with occasional site visits by a vocational skills coach to assess you in the workplace
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, there is potential to progress to an analyst role.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade (Grade C/4 or above)) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade (Grade C/4 or above)) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science (Grade (Grade C/4 or above)) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science (Chemistry preferred) (Grade C or above) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
ORCHID CELLMARK LTD
About disability confident
Abingdon Business Park
16 Blacklands Way
CSR SCIENTIFIC TRAINING LIMITED
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.