Apprentice Engineering Technician - Tool Maker FORMAPLEX TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
At Formaplex you’ll have the chance to change between toolmaking and CNC, learn and experience all materials whether polymer, composite or metallics. If you want to become a highly skilled toolmaker, manufacturing complex precision parts and components from specialist materials using machine tools and hand fitting techniques this role is for you.
Closing date: 30 Jun 2023
Pay will be as follows: Year 1 £9.00 per hour Year 2 £9.50 per hour Year 3 £10.00 per hour Year 4 £10.50 per hour
Monday - Friday, 8.00am - 4.00pm with a 30 minute paid lunch break
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
01 Aug 2023
02 May 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Through a Formaplex apprenticeship, you’ll learn:
- To interpret drawings and technical instructions
- The use of hand, machine and CNC machine tools and measuring equipment
- How to receive and check materials ensuring that they are available and correct
- To become competent using engineering drawings and technical specifications to set and operate machinery
- How to assemble and build mould tools, using hand fitting techniques finishing tools to a high standard
- To follow processes and use proven techniques, including setting up work holding using chucks, fixtures and vices and specialist tooling
- To become competent planning how to complete milling/turning operations, entering programming data into CNC Mills and Lathes
- To become competent programming, setting and operating CNC machinery
- Gain experience and take responsibility for adjusting a range of machining parameters to maximise machining outcomes producing products with a high degree of accuracy and finish, ensuring quality standards are achieved
- Become competent using conventional mechanical measuring equipment including Vernier’s, Micrometre’s to check that work is correct
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The apprentice will be studying towards the Level 3 Engineering Technician qualification
- This will involve one day per week at South Downs Campus Engineering workshops as well as learning in the workplace with the college work based trainer
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
After a further period of skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) – Toolmaker, Tool and Die Maintenance
- Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- After successful completion of the apprenticeship there may be the opportunity to progress further within the company
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science (Grade 4/C) Essential
About the employer
FORMAPLEX TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
HAVANT AND SOUTH DOWNS COLLEGE
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.