Apprentice Process Technician FCC RECYCLING (UK) LIMITED
FCC Environment is one of the UK’s leading waste and resource management companies. Our approach is to minimise the amount of waste that ends up in landfill by transforming it into valuable resources. You will be involved in the treatment of waste in a batch process using a computerised system and the sampling and testing of treated wastes.
Closing date: 16 Jun 2023
£8.50 per hour First Year, £10.50 per hour Second Year, £12.50 per hour Third Year
Shift Working tbc However, shifts will be modified to allow apprentices for college attendance requirements
Total hours per week: 42.0
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Possible start date
04 Sep 2023
20 Apr 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Carry out assigned tasks and duties in a safe manner, in accordance with instructions, and to comply with safety rules/procedures, regulations and codes of practice. If aware of any unsafe practice or condition, or if in any doubt about the safety of any situation, consult their supervisor.
- Obtain and use the correct tools/equipment for the work. All tools, equipment and personal protective equipment must be stored in the approved place after use.
- Ensure that all guards are securely fixed and that all safety equipment and personal protective clothing/equipment provided are used.
- To report any accident, near-miss, dangerous occurrence or dangerous condition to their line management.
- To switch off and secure unattended plant or equipment.
- Adopt a proactive manner to energy usage and suggest ways of improving energy performance.
- Movement of wastes, including loading and unloading vehicles, using forklift trucks, loading shovel.
- Treatment of waste in a batch process using a computerised system.
- Sampling and testing of treated wastes
- Operation of process plant including filter presses, shredders, mixers, conveyors and pumps.
- Routine maintenance and inspection of mobile and process plant e.g. refuelling, topping up oils and greases.
- Other general duties which may involve some manual handling.
- Be able to work both as part of a small team under supervision and work alone, including self-managing the workload.
- Have flexible attitude to work and available to work overtime at short notice.
- Be comfortable in working in the open air all times of the year in what may be a dirty environment. Be able to problem-solve using own initiative
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Science Manufacturing Technician
- Gain a qualification recognised for professional registration by RSciTech or Eng Tech, prior to completing the apprenticeship’s end-point assessment.
- Training will take place in the workplace
- One day a week (to be confirmed)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Employment as a Shift or Process Technician at one of our sites in the Waste Treatment Division. Either at Knostrop, Knottingley, Ecclesfield or Blackburn Meadows both at Sheffield.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
A Level or equivalent Chemistry (Grade A - C) Desired
BTEC or equivalent Applied Science (Grade Pass/ Merit/ Distinction) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
FCC RECYCLING (UK) LIMITED
DN COLLEGES GROUP
Science manufacturing technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.