Technician Scientist Apprenticeship (Biology or Chemistry) CHARLES RIVER DISCOVERY RESEARCH SERVICES UK LIMITED
This is a fantastic opportunity to start a career in science. The Technician Scientist Apprentice will join our rotation programme across Biology or Chemistry disciplines where they will carry out scientific experiments which will directly impact the discovery and development of novel drug/medicine for our clients.
Closing date: 05 Jun 2023
Private medical insurance, Remote GP, Leading pension plan (9% company contributions), 34 days annual leave, Annual salary review
37.5 hours (4 days a week on site and 1 day a week working from home for self-study Monday to Friday); shifts to be confirmed.
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
11 Sep 2023
19 Apr 2023
Level 5 (Higher national Diploma)
What will the apprentice be doing?
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals with a genuine interest in science and its application in medicine/drug discovery and development. Throughout the apprenticeship you will be supported and mentored by experienced scientists that will guide you through your early career.
The Technician Scientist Apprentice will join our rotation programme where they will experience multiple disciplines and carry out scientific experiments. You will perform a variety of technical support functions in the Biology or Chemistry departments that will directly impact the discovery and development of novel drug/medicine for our clients.
We are looking for applicants that are:
- A passion to learn with a genuine interest in science
- Desire to learn new techniques and to become adept with new technology
- Highly organised, with a rational approach to problem solving
- Good attention to detail to enable you to produce high quality data
- Proactive, hardworking team players
- Good levels of literacy, numeracy, and IT skills
Technician scientists will be expected to work safely and ethically to ensure the quality and safety of our products. They will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. With experience, they will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of their work.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Develop and apply theoretical knowledge of the advanced science and technology, gained through your university studies, in a laboratory-based setting and implement new processes
- Understand the principles of laboratory techniques to prepare for and perform laboratory experiments using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures, and methods
- Work independently to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals, and build on existing ideas
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, professional body language, scientific presentation
- Work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Comply with standard operating procedures (SOPs) including compliance with good record keeping & confidentiality
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Foundation Degree in Bioscience or Chemistry
- New Standard Laboratory Technician Scientist Higher Qualification
- One day remote study per week
- 2X summer school's on campus
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, candidates will be able to apply to complete the Level 6 BSc course or for permanent positions.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Biology or Chemistry (Grade 4/C) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
CHARLES RIVER DISCOVERY RESEARCH SERVICES UK LIMITED
Robinson Building Chesterford Research Park
THE UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Level 5 (Higher national Diploma)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.