Level 2 Groundwork Apprenticeship - Civil Engineering McDermotts Building and Civil Engineering
Do you want to work outdoors? We are looking for enthusiastic and hard working individuals to join us as groundwork apprentices. This will be the first step in your career with us and you will learn all about groundworks and gain site experience giving you the opportunity to scope out your next step.
Closing date: 31 May 2023
Your rate of pay will be higher if you are over 18. We will also pay for all our apprentices to attend a one day health and safety course and prepare you to sit the CSCS test before going on site. We will pay for dumper and roller training.
Monday to Friday 7.30am to either 4.00pm or 5.00pm depending on age. If you are over 18 you will be working 45 hours per week and your hourly wage will be higher
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
04 Sep 2023
27 Mar 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
You will receive a site safety briefing and schedule of work for the day and be expected to work as part of a team to complete tasks set for that project.
You will undertake a variety of tasks such as:
- Laying paths
- Concreting and other surfacing
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will be trained on site by our staff and also attend up to 10 weeks of training at Salutem in Aston, B6 5RS to gain a level 2 Groundworker Apprenticeship standard
The training takes place throughout the year in block release and you will study the following:
- Health and safety
- Environmental health hazards
- Basic principles of Building Information Modelling
- The differences between traditional and modern methods of construction
- Principles of working in confied spaces
- Locating and excavating to expose buried utility services
- Basic principles of drainage
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- After successful completion of the apprenticeship we would expect to employ you within our business as a groundworker with the potential to progress to team leader, site supervisor and beyond
- You could also specialise to become a machine excavator operator or continue with your education to become an engineer
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 or C) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
McDermotts Building and Civil Engineering
Catherine Street Aston
Salutem Training Gemma Kemp
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.