Apprentice UPS field service engineer. ADVANCED SOLUTIONS UPS LTD
Uninterruptible Power Supplies are critical power back up, supporting life safety such as hospital operating theatres but also financial data in major data centres for Apple, Microsoft, Google, banks etc. The industry is un-effected by recession, pandemic and successful engineers can command the best salaries or go on to run their own companies
Closing date: 01 Jun 2023
• Stakeholder pension scheme (NEST) • Private Healthcare option • Expenses paid in advance, subsistence allowance during working hours • Mobile phone, laptop • Tools and workwear provided
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, shifts, involves early starts, working evenings and weekends.
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
01 Jul 2023
09 Mar 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
An average week example 1. Working alongside one of our senior UPS engineers who is also an Appointed Person and can sign off electrical installations as most of our engineers are multi-skilled.
- Monday and Tuesday at a central london Hospital completing routine maintenance on a range of UPS of different sizes, manufacturers and locations on site. Routine maintenance consists of botyh AC and DC works as UPS are powered by sealed lead acid batteries.
- Wednesday - Friday. Fly from Southampton to Edinburgh and on to the Isle of Man to maintain five UPS. Collect hire car to get around the island staying at the Sefton Hotel. Fly back to Birmgham and then back to Southampton airport
An average week example 2. Working alongside one of our experienced maintenance engineers.
- Monday Installation of a 15kVA UPS at Harley Street London
- Tuesday evening work starting 6pm in Central London Hospital replacing DC Batteries in existing UPS
- Wednesday UPS Repairs in Oxford University
- Thursday UPS Maintenance Central London
- Friday UPS Replacement for the Science Technology Facility Council where the particle accelerator and colliders are located
We also have standby Generators under contract and our apprentices work will be varied assiting andunder taking work on various diesel generators
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Apprenticeship training course is Electrical, electronic product service and installation engineer (level 3)
Installing and servicing a range of domestic and commercial equipment. Qualification level3 Equivalent to A level.
Typical duration 36 months Apprenticeship category Engineering and manufacturing. Skills that will be learnt include but are not limited to:
- Observe health and safety regulations and procedures including:
- Apply electrical safety tests.
- Avoid the hazard left by residual energy.
- Ensure all tools and equipment are safe and fit for purpose.
- Understand and apply EU/BS product standards.
- Apply Portable Appliance Testing.
- Identify and use the appropriate mode of communication and be able to deal with and listen to customers.
- Comply with health and safety procedures to protect colleagues, customers and their family.
- Resolve disputes and know who to report to in case of problems.
- Research and apply environmental legislation that is current and appropriate to installations and repairs.
- Advise customers on energy saving practices and choosing environmentally friendly purchases in the future.
- Use the correct lifting techniques.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The right candidate will progress to become a UPS field service engineer in their own right, benefits include
- Fully funded company Van
- Proffessional development
- OEM training
- Continued support with further education, certificates and qualifications
We also maintain and support standby diesel generators and as part of the installation of new UPS complete electrical installation works.
All of these aspects will be covered, training provided and support given to the candidate to gain the necessary qualification to become a senior engineer in these fields.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
ADVANCED SOLUTIONS UPS LTD
GLENMORE BUSINESS PA
Electrical, electronic product service and installation engineer
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.