Apprentice Laboratory Technician - Biosciences Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University Clifton Campus, are looking to recruit an Apprentice Laboratory Technician within the School of Science & Technology on a 2 yr Fixed Term Contract. This hands-on role will suit someone with an interest in the areas of Microbiology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology and Ecology.
Closing date: 05 Apr 2023
Holidays are 25 days plus Bank Holidays and University Closure days
Monday-Friday 08.30 - 1700
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
01 Aug 2023
03 Mar 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to undertake training as a member of the Technical team, provide assistance to staff and students on undergraduate, postgraduate and research programmes in the School laboratories, workshops and studios.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake training alongside laboratory assistants with the cleaning of glass/plasticware, ensure laboratories are kept in a clean and orderly manner and arrange the laundering of staff and student lab coats.
- Undertake training alongside supervising technicians with practical demonstrations of equipment to staff and students.
- Assist supervising technicians with the set up, to a satisfactory standard, the materials, equipment and apparatus for laboratory, workshop or classroom sessions.
- Prepare and carry out technical procedures following clear guidelines from supervising technicians and/or standard operating procedures.
- Undertake training in the routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment within own area ensuring equipment is in good working order, as instructed by supervising technician.
- Adhere to strict Health & Safety guidelines as outlined in the School Safety Handbook and work to local laboratory procedures.
- Be aware of the key contacts within the School.
- Replenish stocks of consumables/stores of basic equipment etc. in order to ensure availability to meet work requirements.
- Carry out record keeping, filing, data inputting, cataloguing, fault reporting as required by supervising technicians.
- Commit to attend College for appropriate off site training to obtain L3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Laboratory Technician. Attend regular progress meetings with immediate supervising technicians and/or Technical Group Leader to establish progress, evaluate ongoing training needs and attend relevant training courses as identified.
- The post holder may be required to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities of the post within the school, such as a requirement to work outside normal office hours dependant on the needs of the business.
This Job Description provides an overview of the principal accountabilities of the post and accountabilities will include but will not be limited to those detailed. It is anticipated that the content of roles will evolve and change over time and such the balance of duties within the job description will change within the broad remit of the post.
We are looking for candidates with the following personal qualities:
- This is a training opportunity for an individual who has an excellent attention to detail.
- A keen interest in science.
- Friendly, welcoming, polite and professional.
- A quick learner who actively listens and communicates information effectively.
- The ability to plan time effectively to achieve results in the day to day work. Organised with the ability to prioritise work appropriately.
- Works effectively as a member of a team and takes responsibility for getting things done as part of a team.
- Willingly takes on new tasks/adopts new approaches as required as appropriate to job role.
- Participates in Performance Development Contribution Review (PDCR) and takes responsibility for keeping professional skills and knowledge up to date.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Laboratory Technician Standard Level 3 - https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
Functional Skills Level 2 in English & maths if not exempt.
Please note that the apprenticeship standards require the apprentice to sit an End Point Assessment. Please refer to above link for more information.
Day release at college is one day per week during term time at Nottingham City Hub, where you will study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science, if you havent already achieved this qualification.
The college day release is planned to start September 2023 but you may be able to start employment a month or so before then.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Opportunity for ongoing employment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
Nottingham Trent University
About disability confident
Nottingham College Apprenticeship Team
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.