IT Apprentice CYBERDAN LTD
As an IT Apprentice, you will be primarily dealing with a lot of day-to-day upkeep/proactive monitoring. For example, performing health checks on client systems and maintaining databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL server databases. We also work heavily with several distributions of Linux such as CentOS and Redhat enterprise Linux.
Closing date: 31 Mar 2023
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
07 Apr 2023
02 Mar 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Performing health checks on client systems (pulling out statistics such as uptime, load average to determine how worked the server is and checking appropriate logs to spot any potential issues before they arise)
- Maintaining databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL server databases. In terms of these databases, you would be expected to respond to any support calls/emails that where to be logged to the help desk (not necessarily with an immediate fix but to reassure the client that we are currently investigating the problem) and to perform basic diagnostics on these systems for example checking memory and CPU usage in the event of a server slowdown, anything else would be handled initially by a more experienced member of the team until you have gained more knowledge of the systems.
- We also work heavily with several distributions of Linux such as CentOS and Redhat enterprise Linux and as such you would gain an understanding of how to navigate and interact with these systems through a command line as a lot of our work is done through SSH for security reasons. As above, you would also be heavily involved in ensuring the health of these systems by monitoring things such as disk space, memory usage and process load amongst other things.
- We also perform similar services on Windows servers, primarily 2016 with some earlier releases (such as 2012 and 2012 R2) however we have a few clients on slightly older systems.
This is of course an overview for the beginning of the apprenticeship and as you advance and gain more technical competency, we would begin to move you onto more complex support
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 IT Solutions Techncian
- Personal Learnign and Thinking Skills
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (if required)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You may be offered a permanent position at the end of the apprenticeship with opportunity for futher skills development.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C or above) Desired
BTEC or equivalent IT (Grade Pass / Merit / Distinction) Desired
About the employer
ESSEX COUNTY COUNCIL
IT solutions technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.