Creative Venue Technician Apprentice Surbiton High School
The Creative Venue Technician Apprentice will work as part of the School of Performing Arts to provide a high quality, efficient and effective technical support service for staff and students in the College. This role is to primarily play an active role in supporting Performing Arts enrichments.
Closing date: 28 Mar 2023
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, with flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Apr 2023
15 Feb 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- To support the AV Technician in maintaining the audio-visual equipment used for presentations across the school
- To support the AV Technician in maintaining the Drama Department’s technical equipment
- To technically support of practical exams, events and presentations held across the school
- To design sound and lighting solutions for presentations, events and exams
- To program lighting and sound equipment for presentations and events
- To support with routine maintenance of all Audio-visual and
- Performing Arts equipment, including regular Portable Appliance Testing
- To monitor and maintain stock items (lamps, gels, gobos, tape, screws, timber, etc.) and all stores and general day-to-day equipment as needed
- To ensure all Health & Safety requirements are met with regards to the performance spaces, which are in daily use
- To ensure that the theatre is a secure environment for pupils, staff, and equipment, and that the theatre venue itself is adequately protected
- To support other School events, including (but not limited to) the annual Fashion Show and Prep School Productions, as agreed with the Director of Drama and Dance and the Head of IT
- To assist with painting and building sets, source and build props and support in organising spaces for events and productions
- To maintain awareness of developments within technical theatre and undertake training as deemed necessary
- To assist the IT and Drama and Dance Departments when available
- To be available for some evening and weekend work when required
- To attend meetings and rehearsals for upcoming productions
- To carry out any other duties within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Creative Venue Technician Level 3 apprenticeship standard
- Blended learning, remote and onsite with you
- 1-2-1 teaching
- Online classroom based lessons
- 6 hours per week of off the job training
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- To work with in the theatre and events industry or move into a more prominent position within a schools drama department
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 or C and above) Desired
About the employer
Surbiton High School
13 Surbiton Crescent
Kingston Upon Thames
ACCESS TO MUSIC LIMITED
Creative venue technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.