Apprentice Dog Care Assistant MACFARLANE CANINE SERVICES LIMITED
Macfarlane Canine Services are recruiting an Apprentice Dog Care Assistant to work in their thriving Dog Care, Behaviour & Training Centre. Working within the friendly, doggy day care team, this is a fantastic opportunity. Licenced by Fylde Borough Council with the highest possible 5* rating, they are a leader within the dog care industry.
Closing date: 30 Jun 2023
Company pension, employee assistance programme and on-site parking
Monday to Friday between the hours of 7.45am to 6.15pm
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
03 Jul 2023
03 Feb 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
At Macfarlane Canine Services, all the dogs are welcomed into carefully chosen social groups of similar size, play styles and energy levels and it is the Dog Care Assistant’s responsibility to ensure that the physical and emotional needs of all the dogs in their care are met.
Dogs arrive at the Centre at 8am and go home by 6pm. Throughout the day they are supervised during an array of different social group activities that allow for natural expression of canine behaviour, including play, individual choice and the provision of rest.
Under the supportive guidance of skilled and knowledgeable industry professionals the successful candidate will learn the necessary skills required for the role, including:
- Active supervision and management of dog social groups, including anticipation of behaviours
- Physical examination and grooming of different breeds of dog
- Canine body language, dog behaviour and social group dynamics
- How to plan and implement environmental enrichment activities and reward-based training sessions
- How to prepare food and frozen Kongs, and feeding the dogs
- How to facilitate the successful introduction of each dog into the social groups
The successful candidate will:
- Understand the physical nature of the role
- Maintain the highest standards of hygiene and presentation by cleaning and disinfecting all areas within and surrounding the Centre, including toilets and reception area
- Undertake laundry duties and any other reasonable duties within the Centre
- Have the drive and determination to learn and achieve the skills to be proficient in their role and take full advantage of in-house training opportunities
- Establish good relations with clients
- Follow all Health & Safety procedures
- Follow written and verbal instructions accurately
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Training will be provided by Myerscough College working towards an Apprenticeship qualification as an Animal Care & Welfare Assistant (Level 2), through a work-based blended delivery programme consisting predominantly of on-site training and assessment within the workplace.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon completion of the apprenticeship there is no guarantee of any further employment however, the experience gained on this Apprenticeship will allow you to apply for further roles within this sector.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
MACFARLANE CANINE SERVICES LIMITED
150 PRESTON ROAD
LYTHAM ST ANNES
Animal care and welfare assistant
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.