This occupation is found in the construction and built environment sector, where properties across the housing, healthcare, social care, hospitality, education, commercial, leisure, retail, and private and public sectors, require maintenance to keep them in a safe working condition, and to optimise their quality or performance.
Closing date: 15 Feb 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 38
Possible start date
01 Mar 2023
17 Jan 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Plan the sequence of work required to carry out routine property maintenance operations
- Identify and select the appropriate materials and components for property maintenance tasks, ensuring these are compliant with relevant regulatory requirements and manufacturer's specifications
- Comply with statutory health and safety regulations and requirements
- Comply with risk assessments, and organise the workplace, to safeguard themselves and the property
- Comply with key regulatory and legislative requirements, including building regulations
- Uses safe working practices when carrying out property maintenance tasks including the use of PPE, signage, barriers, access equipment and ensuring work area is prepared and reinstated
- Select, and use work tools and equipment for property maintenance tasks, applying all safeguards, and ensuring the correct functioning of equipment
- Safely isolate and secure electrical or electronic supplies prior to performing property maintenance operations
- Apply and implement routine emergency system checks, testing and routine maintenance, identifying and reporting faults as required
- Perform maintenance and repairs to plumbing systems, including fault identification, safe isolation of supply, replacing components and clearing blockages
- Perform maintenance and repairs to external drainage systems, including clearing blockages and replacing components
- Perform maintenance and repairs to environmental and energy management systems, including fault identification, safe isolation of supply, replacing components
- Use carpentry and joinery skills to perform repairs to windows, doors and glazing units, and their associated fittings
- Perform repairs to plastered surfaces, including surface preparation, fixing and mixing materials and compounds
- Use painting and decorating skills to prepare surfaces for decoration, apply paint using brushes and rollers, and complete sealing activities using gun appliances
- Perform tiling repairs, including setting out, surface preparation and cutting around obstacles
- Perform flooring repairs, including setting out, surface preparation and cutting around obstacles
- Perform planned, responsive or temporary repairs to buildings or their immediate surroundings, attending to minor defects within either masonry, roofing, fencing or railing, groundwork or landscaping
- Select and use technical literature and other sources of information and data to address property maintenance problems
- Record and report information, using digital and written techniques
- Inspect own work, ensuring it is delivered to the given specifications
- Comply with environmental regulations and procedures. Segregate resources for reuse, recycling and disposal
- Use and adapt communication methods for different situations and when, working with colleagues and stakeholders, using industry terminology as appropriate
- Provide customer feedback whilst maintaining customer service
- Escalates issues beyond their level of competence and authority
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Qualifications gained - Property maintenance operative (level 2).
Training will be onsite at workplace with trainers coming to assess progress of apprentice.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Once qualified the successful candidate will then have their own work to do on their own with future apprentices being trained by them.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
IXION HOLDINGS (CONTRACTS) LIMITED
Property maintenance operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.