Teaching Assistant Apprentice at Milestone School SAND ACADEMIES TRUST
We are looking for a Teaching Assistant apprentice to join our busy team, learning all aspects of working in a special school environment whilst studying towards your Supporting Teaching and Learning qualification. During your apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to work in several classes, to expand your knowledge of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
Closing date: 30 Jan 2023
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
01 Mar 2023
10 Jan 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
You will be working towards your Teaching assistant qualification by assisting in a range of duties relevant to your studies, you will also be set aside time to complete your learning.
During your apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to work in several classes, to expand your knowledge of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
What is Required:
Developing strategies for support:
- Develop strategies to support and encourage pupils to move towards self-help skills and independent learning
- Use Total communication, following training, to support all pupils’ preferred method of communication
- Embed effective behaviour management strategies using positive behaviour support appropriately and fairly in line with the school’s policy
- Deliver interventions in accordance with training given
- Foster and encourage positive, effective, nurturing and safe learning environments inspiring pupils to take pride in and learn from their individual achievements
- Recognise, adapt and respond to all pupils encompassing SEN/emotional vulnerabilities, for example, use Makaton, visual timetables
- Work with class teams to support pupils with SEND, all of whom have an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Be a flexible and adaptable member of the school, ensuring the pupils’ needs are at the forefront of all lessons
Communication and team work:
- Work closely with teachers and experienced learning partners to ensure own contribution aligns with the teaching
- Opportunities to work alongside other professionals to deliver physiotherapy routines, sensory enrichment and creative activities
- Deliver/lead small group teaching within clearly defined/planned parameters using initiative, sensitivity and understanding
- Comply with policy and procedures for sharing confidential information and know when and where to seek advice
- Implement current statutory guidance including ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ Part 1, safeguarding policies, Prevent Strategy
- Undertake safeguarding training and be able to record and report areas of concern
- Support pupils’ well-being whilst embedding the importance of online safety
- Assist with the supervision of pupils outside the classroom, including accompanying teaching staff on educational trips and visits
Working with teachers to accurately assess:
- Contribute to a range of assessment processes and use information effectively for example: written records, photographic evidence and verbal feedback
- Use specific feedback to help pupils make progress
- Apply good subject knowledge to support accurate assessment
- Use school computer systems, including specialist software e.g. intervention programmes and specialist communication aids
- Use relevant technology competently and effectively to improve learning
- Ensure pupils use technology safely
Problem solving/ability to motivate pupils:
- Use a range of strategies including scaffolding, using the pupils’ interests and open questioning skills to enable pupils to access and engage in learning
- Recognise the difference between pastoral and academic issues and model good behaviour for learning
- Possess creative thinking skills to engage those pupils who are hard to reach
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 Teaching Assistant apprenticeship standard.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Potential permanent position upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 9 - 4 / A* - C) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
SAND ACADEMIES TRUST
About disability confident
GC Employer Training and Apprenticeships
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.