This is a chance to join an organisation with a reputation for excellent service, British free-range meat, fine foods and beautifully prepared produce. We will support and train the successful applicant in all relevant areas. You will be taught how to be able to cut, prepare, package and present meat products to the our and consumer's standards.
Closing date: 01 Feb 2023
Once qualified, our butchers earn £12+ per hour. Sales-related bonuses add over £1 per hour to all rates and we pay 5.6 weeks holiday per annum. Workplace pension provided and all employees receive 50% discount on all their personal shopping.
Total hours per week: 40.0
Possible start date
06 Feb 2023
05 Jan 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The successful applicant will work with the butchery team to develop their butchery and customer service skills and knowledge. Their duties will include:
- Working on the block
- Working the retail counters
- Sausage making
- Purchasing from Smithfield Market
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The final certification will be for L2 Butchery. Training will be split between on job, at our shops in North London, and at Plumpton College, near Brighton (one day per fortnight, during term time).
The apprentice will learn:
- Knife skills - including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing of meat
- Health and safety practices, food safety and hygiene and key legislation
- Using butchery tools and machinery – including mincing, sausage making, bacon curing, vacuum packing
- Business profitability, maximising productivity, efficiency and customer care
- Team work and customer care skills
- Specialist retail shop or processing plant butchery skills
- Butchery Level 2 Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 2 award in food safety
- Level 2 award in health and safety
- Level 2 award in knife skills
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Previous apprentices remain with our company and have progressed to become fully-fledged butchers and Head Butchers.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.