You will learn all aspects of the warehousing business, including loading / unloading of articulated vehicles, operating overhead cranes, forklift trucks and side loaders. You will learn to safely store materials and prepare orders for dispatch and work within the rules and regulations of a busy steel processing & stockholding company.
Closing date: 07 Mar 2023
End of year bonus scheme dependent on attendance and disciplinary records.
Total hours per week: 38.75
Possible start date
20 Mar 2023
28 Nov 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Counting of stock
- Preparing the stock by looking at orders
- Using, where necessary, verniers and micrometer gauges to check the dimensions and thickness of the material
- Reporting to the shift supervisor and the works manager
- Working within a team of initially 3-4 people
- Learn all aspects of the business in stockholding but maintain strict health & safety guidance and procedures
- Initially reviewing the loads and prioritising what vehicles and orders are still to be loaded for that day’s dispatch, if the afternoon shift didn’t complete from the day before
- Receive instructions from the supervisor on what needs to be addressed to identify and pick orders for the next day deliver
- Locate the relevant items in the racking system and pick the amounts needed, by securing the items with banding wire
- Deal with any deliveries that day that either come back via our own transport or by an external supplier
- When not loading or offloading or picking, relocating stock into our racking system, and marking each location accordingly
- Tidying of area to maintain a safe environment to work in, keeping a gang way clear of debris
- Assisting in bringing fresh ideas to our business and helping with improvements
- Booking material into our system using hand-writing method
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
In-Comm Training Services will provide training towards your Warehouse Apprenticeship. Supply chain warehouse operative (Level 2)
This will consist of:
- Level 2 in Warehouse and Storage Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills at Level 2 in English and maths, if required
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills Workbook
- Employers' Rights and Responsibilities Workbook
- Block training will take place at In-Comm Training Services Ltd WS9 8UG
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Currently we have a 4-stage salary rate. The top rate is achievable after a relatively short period of time, providing that all training has been received and demonstrated as good, there is accuracy within the role, and the ability to be left unattended
A separate shift rate for unsociable hours between the hours of 13:30 to 21:30 Mon-Fri, ensuring health & safety is practiced, and attendance is good.
We are still progressing as a business, but for the right apprentice, then we offer a full employment contract, a bonus scheme at the end of the year, company work wear, free off-road parking.
Supervisory roles are achievable providing the person shows good leadership qualities.
We also have on site several production lines, and we’re currently expanding our business with the installation of a major new piece of equipment at our West Bromwich site. We’re keen to promote this and its services to other end users and in some cases, other stockholders.
We have saws, guillotining, tube lasers, and welding and fabrication on site. All of these are possible other routes an apprentice could possibly be interested in.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
IN-COMM TRAINING AND BUSINESS SERVICES LIMITED
Supply chain warehouse operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.