IT Infrastructure Engineer Apprenticeship Southend on Sea Borough Council
This role reports into the IT Service Support Manager. You will play a vital role in ensuring ICT support exceeds customer expectations. You will have responsibility for providing a high level of IT support to the Council’s users and responding to tickets, clearly identifying issues and troubleshooting through to resolution.
Closing date: 15 Dec 2022
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
01 Jan 2023
11 Nov 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Provide 1st line support as part of the Service Desk team
- Ensure an exceptional level of customer service and satisfaction is met at all customer touch points
- Provide technical support to end users on various technical issues and problems relating to hardware, software and peripherals
- Be responsible for responding to, documenting and resolving service tickets in a timely manner according to agreed SLAs
- Communicate effectively with customers at all levels in the resolution of incidents and service requests
- Perform and complete all aspects of service (telephone calls, web incidents, walk ups, floor walking, voicemails, call backs, e-mails etc.) to ensure the successful resolution of issues and requests, providing workarounds when appropriate
- Support diagnosis of hardware and software faults and solve technical and application problems at 1st line level
- Diagnose, evaluate and resolve complex problem situations, or when appropriate, escalate or route them to appropriate IT staff members. Continue to monitor resolution progress when problems are passed to other teams
- Perform root cause analysis, develop checklists for typical problems and recommend procedures and controls for problem prevention
- Perform user administration duties including new starters, leavers and movers
- Perform laptop build and re-builds
- Monitor and maintain the Council’s computer systems and networks
- Contribute to continuous improvement in incident, problem and change management processes and support the ongoing enhancements to the ITSM tool
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the service provided by the Service Desk
- Share information and assist others with support requests, as required
- Produce relevant reports in a standard format in an agreed timeframe. Works with key stakeholders to discuss any changes in the reporting processes
- Perform Ad Hoc Duties as requested by your Line Manager
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 Information Communications Technician standard:
Our training delivery is based on a blended model of remote one-to-one sessions every 4 weeks, group sessions, webinars, online courses, video, and additional support as required.
This means that our learners have the guidance they need as well as the flexibility to learn around the requirements of their jobs. We find that this approach reduces disruption for the learners and their line managers giving everyone the best chance of benefitting from the training and completing the course.
Resources for this standard include hundreds of hours of selected video content through LinkedIn Learning and Cisco Network Academy and online courses with supporting materials.
Skills learnt include:
- Deal with colleagues and customers
- Operate securely across platforms
- Add mobile devices to networks
- Analyse and communicate data
- Apply structured techniques to problems
- Optimise performance of hardware, software and networks
- Manage workflow
To support the learners’ knowledge we also deliver the following training courses alongside the apprenticeship:
- Cisco IT Essentials
- Cisco Cybersecurity Essentials
- Cisco Networking Essentials
Evidence collected will cover knowledge, skills and behaviours and helps the learner build the experience and portfolios they need to successfully complete their apprenticeship.
Towards the end of the apprenticeship, apprentices will follow one of three Option pathways, to allow them to further develop their skills in a distinct IT area:
- Support Technician
- Network Technician
- Digital Communications Technician
We also give the learners mock synoptic projects and EPA interviews to ensure they are ready for the End Point Assessment and know precisely what to expect at all points in the process.
The EPA itself includes:
- Professional Discussion underpinned by Portfolio – structured interview.
- Project Report with Questioning – work-based project report
This apprenticeship will allow learners the opportunity to become skilled and qualified IT technicians who will be able to utilise a wide range of digital tools and resources.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Full time and/or fixed term contract positions could be available to apprentices if the roles are vacant in the team at the end of their programme.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Other CompTIA (Grade A+) Desired
Other ITIL Foundation (Grade Pass) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
GINGER NUT MEDIA LIMITED
Information communications technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.