The apprentice will be learning from senior instructors how to sail, paddle and drive powerboats. The apprentice will become a paddlesport instructor, safety boat driver and learn the workings of a water activity centre. They will be supporting the delivery of courses, lessons and activity days for the general public, scout groups and schools.
Closing date: 09 Jan 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
06 Mar 2023
03 Nov 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Working according to ESSA Mission Statement, Policies and Operating Procedures
- Supporting the senior instructors with a safe, responsible, and mature attitude
- Maintaining the activity equipment needed for the centre and carrying out regular maintenance tasks on it
- Learning how a centre functionally works on a day-to-day basis and supporting the duty manager
- Supporting the delivery of sessions with the senior instructor(s)
- Report safety issues and near misses
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The apprentice will obtain:
- Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor Apprenticeship Standard
- RYA level 1 & 2
- RYA assistant instructor
- RYA powerboat level 2
- RYA safety boat
- First aid training
- Paddlesport instructor
The training will take place on-site during the course of the normal working week
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The apprentice could work to become a senior instructor in their chosen sport and with centre management skills could work anywhere in the world. People who have worked at ESSA have gone on to teach in Bermuda and beyond!
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C or 4) Desired
About the employer
Outdoor activity instructor
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.