Ward Clerk - Business Administration Apprenticeship PORTSMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
Portsmouth Hospitals are looking to recruit an apprentice Ward Clerk to undertake the Business Administration apprenticeship. Assisting and providing administration and clerical support duties with the clinical and clerical Team in the Surgical Assessment Unit.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
24 Oct 2022
09 Sep 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
1. Work as a member of the ward administrative team to facilitate and prioritise all aspects of ward/clinic administration.
2. Provide a receptionist service for the ward/clinic, liaising with patients, visitors and medical staff appropriately and passing their queries on to an appropriate clinician when required.
3. To undertake administrative duties for ward or clinic staff including the management of confidential waste; ensuring that all office equipment is in working order. Collect and distribute mail; fax and photocopy patient-related information as required.
4. Organise and book transport for patients using the correct channels to ensure no discharge delays due to transport unavailability.
5. Report faults and defects through the appropriate channels for repair.
6. Maintain stock control as required including stock requests and receipt non-stock items on SBS; and provide full assistance to other staff in fulfilling this function as required.
7. Take particular customer service care in resolving problems relating to patient records, dealing with external departments in locating missing case notes, investigating discrepancies between beds and number of patients, and in direct dealings with the departments customers/clients.
8. Enter patient details on patient information systems used in the area, ensuring accurate information is available in a timely manner.
9. Ensure that information is prepared in case notes for the outpatient clinics and external areas as required.
10. Be proficient, accurate and timely in processing data and information onto computerised systems.
11. Take an active part in all ward/clinic based meetings and discussion in relation to policy input and department procedures, ensuring all changes are read, understood and implemented.
12. Provide induction training support to all new staff as and when required by your line manager.
13. Take responsibility for recording patient details and preparing statistics on data required for analysis such as daily patient movement and discharges.
14. Take personal responsibility for your own professional development and training; ensuring all personal development and mandatory training is completed annually.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The successful candidate will be working towards the Level 3 Business Administrator Apprenticeship Standard.
You will develop the Skills, Knowledge and Behaviours expected of a Business Administrator which include:
ICT Record and document production
Quality Planning and organisation
Business fundamentals and processes
Working with stakeholders
Off the job training will be provided, where you will have the time to complete your portfolio work, attend off job training seminars and have allocated time for mentoring and being shadowed.
Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If you are successful in applying for an apprenticeship position and if you continue to demonstrate the right attributes and attitude, there will be opportunities to progress onto the advanced level apprenticeship and then further employment options with Portsmouth Hospital NHS Trust. Summarized prospects to consider: Progression onto a permanent full-time NHS BAND 2 post. Opportunities to undertake further and higher apprenticeship programmes. Opportunities for career progression. Multiple benefits and discounts. NHS Employee pension . Please see NHS Employee benefits. https://www.nhsemployers.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/Southern-Health-NHS-Foundation-Trust-benefits-leaflet_0.pdf
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
PORTSMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
HTP APPRENTICESHIP COLLEGE LTD
Level 3 (A level)