L4 Cyber Security Apprentice - University of Salford - £18.6k University of Salford
This is a role with a high level of autonomy, handling a significant number of high risk and sensitive enquiries and incidents, often utilising complex tooling. This role is pivotal in ensuring the security compliance of our network and infrastructure and will proactively instigate and drive improvements to our information security posture.
Closing date: 07 Oct 2022
Total hours per week: 36.25
Possible start date
17 Oct 2022
06 Sep 2022
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Proactively contribute to the development and operation of Information Security governance, capabilities, standards, methods, and procedures that will improve the security and control of the organisation
- Assist in handling security incidents and requests having a perceived security impact, including investigation of network and platform specific security issues. Support the Head of Information Security in the coordination of responses to major incidents
- Identify improvements to network topology and operations and challenge existing and proposed technical designs and solutions to increase the organisation’s overall assurance
- Identify security incidents and potential security threats ensuring specific information is communicated to senior stakeholders in a timely manner
- Maintain an understanding of business needs, processes, and dependencies to be better able to prepare for and respond to cyber security incidents
- Identify, research, and communicate threat, vulnerability, and exploitability information to relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to risk, vulnerability and business impact assessments of business applications, computer installations and projects and recommend appropriate action to management
- Identify and drive improvements to business practices that result in incidents and requests that are challenging from a security perspective
- Document exceptions to policy and assist in operating the exceptions escalation and approval processes. Maintain a registry of exceptions and continuously track them
- Engage in security related operations such as Patch Monitoring and Vulnerability Scanning as well as playing a role in maintaining various security related registers and records. This includes management reporting of findings and proposing improvements to technology, processes and working practices
- Support a regular penetration testing schedule including inputting to the development of test scopes, facilitation and coordination of testing, and remediation of test findings
- Support information security colleagues at relevant governance forums and committees, assisting with the preparation and delivery of management information as required
- Maintain awareness of current security technologies and trends and use this knowledge to recommend corrective measures to enhance the University’s security posture
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Programme: L4 Cyber Security Technologist – Risk Analyst pathway
During this apprenticeship, you will follow a fully supported training programme with The Apprentice and Training Partnership, delivered through combined weekly remote classroom-based training, workplace assessment/training and online learning working towards completing the L4 Cyber Security Technologist standard.
The training covers the following core occupational duties:
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
During this apprenticeship, you will follow a fully supported training programme with The Apprentice and Training Partnership, delivered through combined classroom-based training, workplace assessment / training and online learning, at the end of which you will have the ability to work as a Cyber Security Technologist.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 (C)) Essential
A Level or equivalent Computer Science/ICT (Grade C) Desired
BTEC or equivalent ICT (Grade Merit) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
TECHNICAL PROFESSIONALS LIMITED
Cyber security technologist (2021)
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.