Sherborne Area Schools Trust have an exciting opportunity to recruit a Sports Coach apprentice at St Andrews CE Primary School, SP7 0PF. You will work with the PE team to support PE sessions, break/ lunchtime/after-school clubs and sporting fixtures/events.
Closing date: 08 Jan 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
19 Jan 2023
30 Aug 2022
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Supporting class teachers in both practical and theory PE lessons to aid the progress of pupils
- Under the direction of the Curriculum Lead for PE/PE teacher, support the activities of individuals or groups in PE lessons
- Establish and maintain positive and professional relationships with individual pupils and groups
- Contribute to Individual Education Plans as appropriate
- Support pupils during learning activities
- Promote pupils’ social and emotional development
- Support pupils with specific needs, for example, sensory and/or physical impairment, cognitive or learning difficulties, behavioural, emotional and social development needs, communication and interaction difficulties and individual personal requirements
- Support pupils on school trips and to access clubs and other school activities
- Supporting individual and small groups of pupils to make progress with their general learning and support with specific needs such as emotional wellbeing or behaviour
- Observe and provide feedback on pupil performance and progress in lessons
- Contribute to the planning and evaluation of learning activities
- Assist the class teacher in preparing and maintaining the learning environment
- With training and support, use behaviour management strategies, in line with the School’s policy and procedures which contribute to a purposeful learning environment
- To enable students to learn as effectively as possible by, differentiating and adapting materials and motivating and encouraging students
- With training, contribute to the maintenance of pupils’ records
- Provide support to ensure pupils’ safety and wellbeing
- Provide general administrative support, for example, produce worksheets etc.
- Raise the profile of PE and School Sports in the school
- Lead lunch and after-school activities, clubs and events to raise the profile of sports and a healthy lifestyle in school
- Organise sporting fixtures, including communicating with other schools and transport companies if necessary
- Monitor and maintain sports equipment
- To demonstrate commitment and reliability through good attendance and time keeping
- To participate in training activities as part of own professional development
- To undertake other relevant tasks, as directed by the Senior Leadership Team, for example, administrative tasks, supporting students during registration, break and lunchtimes
- To attend relevant meetings and INSETs as required
- To demonstrate enthusiasm for the work of the school and its values
- To continuously improve their own and team’s performance achieved through self- assessment and feedback, working collaboratively with each other and contributing good ideas and solutions
- To be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people within the school
- To work under the guidance of Curriculum Lead for PE to provide support for PE lessons. As required, also provide support in the classroom (in non-PE lessons) to pupils who require additional help to overcome their barriers and to support the class teacher
- To understand about the specific learning, emotional and behavioural needs of children and to liaise with teachers and other colleagues as appropriate
- To establish supportive and professional relationships with pupils to create a stable, caring and positive learning environment
- To lead lunch, break and after school sports clubs/ activities and organise fixtures and events to raise the profile of sports in school
- The Sports Coach Apprentice needs to work as part of a wider School team and is expected to work effectively and collaboratively with all colleagues in delivering service excellence and contributing positively to School life
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 4 Sports Coach Apprenticeship
- Level 2 Award in Multi-skills Coaching/Development in Sport
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- There may be an opportunity for the right candidate to remain in employment on successful completion of this Apprenticeship
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4) Desired
Other Sports Coaching Qualification (Grade PASS) Desired
Things to consider
About the employer
St Andrew's CE Primary School
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.