Landscape Maintenance Apprentice VERTAS (DERBYSHIRE) LIMITED
You will be provided with a foundation in a broad range of skills required to work competently within the horticulture industry. We are looking for landscape maintenance apprentices to work from our Depots in Matlock Denby and possibly Alfreton.
Closing date: today
20 days holiday plus bank holidays Cycle to work scheme. We Care app (doctor) Life works shopping discount
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Oct 2022
19 Aug 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Vertas Derbyshire is a facilities management company, which provides landscape maintenance services throughout Derbyshire working for public buildings and countryside sites as well as private clients. We also do cleaning, caretaking, catering etc. Apprentices will be assigned to a supervisor working from the Denby, Alfreton or Matlock depots. Key responsibilities will be to learn how to use machinery safely, work carefully under the supervision of our team leaders, and provide a good quality service. We maintain a number of sports fields so an interest in turf management could be developed. We maintain the fantastic grounds at County Hall in Matlock where you will be able to hone your horticultural knowledge and skills.
Skills to develop will be:
- Correct adjustment, use and handling of machinery from strimmers to ride on mowers to vehicles and trailers. Training will be provided to NPTC level.
- Learning how to maintain natural and artificial sports surfaces including marking out pitches
- Colleague and customer communication
- Time management and personal learning while on the job as well as at college
- Health and safety awareness
- First Aid
- Safe use of pesticides
- Toolbox training and external courses as identified
- The opportunity to work with horticulturally qualified and experienced leam leaders. Working in rural areas in the fresh air.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 2 Diploma in Work-based Horticulture
- Level 3 Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW)
- Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance OR Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides
The apprenticeship will be delivered in the workplace and on-site.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We have landscape operative roles available throughout the county. We would support a level 3 apprenticeship for ambitious candidates. Work opportunities throughout the company from caretaking to site management.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Horticulture or landscape construction operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.