Healthcare Support Worker Apprentice The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is one of the leading cancer centres in the world. We are currently looking for enthusiastic and committed HCAs to join our nursing team as apprentices. We are committed to helping its staff develop in their current job and beyond, so this could be the start of a new and rewarding career.
Closing date: 15 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
02 Aug 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
By the end of the apprenticeship, you will be able and expected to carry out the responsibilities listed below, under the guidance of the shift co-ordinator.
Clinical Responsibility – Patient Care
· To undertake and practice the Care Certificate standards.
· Monitor and record patients’ vital signs (including blood pressure, pulse, temperature, oxygen saturation) and report any abnormal results to registered nursing staff.
· Measure and record patients’ height and weight.
· Perform venepuncture and venous blood sampling, following training and assessment.
· Undertake clinical tasks relevant to the specific clinical area following competency sign off. For example, ECG; Urinalysis; MRSA screening swabs, recording of allergies on EPR and other clinical tasks where training/ competency sign off has been deemed appropriate for HCSW and has been ratified through NRRAC.
· Assist with nutrition where applicable (e.g. assisting with menu completion, feeding assistance) working closely with the ward host/hostess.
· To demonstrate an understanding of infection control issues by attending mandatory training; understand infection control policy and procedure, accept responsibility for own infection control practice and be willing to challenge others’ practice.
· Direct or escort patients and their belongings between departments and clinical areas.
· To collect patients’ medications from pharmacy.
· Assist in the provision of basic care to patients so as to ensure their comfort, cleanliness and wellbeing (e.g. assist with mouth care, hygiene and eye care).
· Report to registered nurses any problems arising during observation of or conversations with patients and carers.
· Co-operate with all colleagues to maintain a presentable and safe environment.
· To ensure that all patient/public areas including bedside, where applicable, and utility rooms are clean and tidy at all times, and to inform an appropriate member of staff when the required standard is not maintained.
· To clean equipment on a daily basis, including trolleys and drip stands. To inform the nurse in charge when repairs are needed.
· Collect blood products from the laboratory in accordance with the hospital transfusion policy (The post holder will only perform this task after training and assessment of competency as per Trust policy).
To monitor ward equipment service/calibration history and in conjunction with the ward sister/charge nurse ensure all equipment is maintained as per Trust policy.
· Ensure stock levels of clinical and non-clinical supplies are maintained through ordering, storing and rotating stock and safely disposing of our of date stock.
· To assist nursing and medical staff with various clinical procedures when delegated appropriately by a registered nurse.
· To report faulty equipment to the relevant department for repair.
· Prepare patients for discharge and ensure that rooms/bed areas are ready for the prompt reception of a patient at any time. This may involve appropriate cleaning of the bed, bed table, locker and any other moveable item of furniture, as a bed is vacated in the course of the day/evening. Request cleaning of all areas used by patients.
· Assisting with daily bed making as required.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Healthcare Support Worker apprenticeship level 2
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, the apprentice will have the opportunity to become a substantive member of our staff, develop further, enhance existing and gain new skills and knowledge.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
DYNAMIC TRAINING UK LIMITED
Healthcare support worker
Level 2 (GCSE)