Murphy & Son Ltd are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Apprentice to join their Laboratory Team. Murphy & Sons are based in Old Basford Nottingham and are a long-established provider of brewing supplies and technical expertise to the brewing and broader beverage industry.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Sep 2022
02 Aug 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
If you are interested in a career in Laboratory Technician this is the perfect apprenticeship for you.
The main roles and responsibilities within this role will be:
- Sample Analysis and report writing
- To test production samples and ensure they are within specification for both Chemistry and Microbiology
- To enter customer samples onto sample logging spreadsheets
- To aid testing customer samples according to requirements, where necessary complying to UKAS Standards
- Completion of reports for internal and external customers
- To contact customers and report results by telephone and email and assist customers understanding as necessary
- To be part of the team answering general lab enquires promptly and accurately
- To update the customer sample spreadsheet as necessary.
- To prepare and test customer samples according to requirements, i.e. Liquor ABV, combined analyses and micro
- To contact customers and report analysis results email as necessary
- To calibrate the lab equipment as necessary and maintain equipment records
- To monitor lab stock levels and maintain reagents and kits to ensure tests can be performed as required
- To learn new analytical techniques and methods
- To work within the quality system to ISO17025 and Assist with maintaining our UKAS accreditation for accredited tests and working on extensions to scope for key methods for the lab
- General laboratory housekeeping including cleaning kitchen area
- To help and support Microbiology department as needed.
- To Help and Support Research and Development Function as required.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that necessary safety equipment (PPE) is worn at all times. This includes footwear, overalls, masks, goggles and any other required to safely complete the task
- To be responsible for cleaning spillages from your PPE and maintaining all garments in a safe and efficient state
- To carry out other reasonable duties as requested should this be necessary to meet the needs of the business (e.g. stocktake). This may involve additional duties or alternative locations other than the principal place of work
- To operate within the Company’s Quality Assurance System at all times
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Laboratory Technician Standard Level 3 - https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
Please note that the apprenticeship standards require the apprentice to sit an End Point Assessment. Please refer to above link for more information.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Possible permanent position on the completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
Nottingham College Apprenticeship Team
Level 3 (A level)