We’re seeking an Apprentice Engineer to join us here at Bristol Airport. This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to train and learn alongside our Engineering Department, supporting the teams engineering, maintenance and technical day-day activities; ensuring they are conducted in a safe, smooth-running manner.
Closing date: 23 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
29 Jul 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Assist with and learn engineering and maintenance duties on Electrical and Mechanical systems, which could include; HV and LV distribution systems, baggage handling systems, emergency lighting, fire alarm, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Develop an understanding of the airport layout, functions and assets through a process of continuous development, assessment, training and development.
- Assist with and learn the requirements & skills for reactive maintenance duties responding to system and equipment failures in a timely manner in order to sustain the Airports services.
- Assist with and learn the requirements & skills to undertaking engineering and maintenance duties on Electrical and Mechanical systems, including, but not limited to HV and LV distribution systems, baggage handling systems, emergency lighting, fire alarm, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Assist with and learn the requirements & skills needed for inspections, maintenance and fault-finding activities on the Airfield Ground Lighting and associated systems, and other airfield installations as required to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Learn how to produce and review Risk Assessments and Method Statements for BRS Engineering activities.
- Learn and assist with purchasing engineering spares to ensure they are available to maintain equipment reliability and reduce down time following failures.
- Develop an understanding for Right first time Culture to support critical infrastructure.
- Understand the importance of maintaining and keeping detailed records of maintenance problems and activities.
- Work closely with and in accordance with BAL H&S policy.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Engineering technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard.
During the first year you will have 3 and a half days a week in college.
- After your first year your college days will be reduced to 1 a week
- You will be given some of your working week dedicated to your apprentice study, or Off the Job Training, to carry out self-supported study, compiling your portfolio or completing work set by your assessor.
- Assessor visits to the workplace once the workshops have finished to prepare you for your End Point Assessment.
- If you have not already achieved a C/4 + in both Maths and English (or equivalent) and cannot provide evidence in the form of a certificate, you will also need to achieve Functional skills at Level 2, in both Numeracy and Literacy. This will include sitting an exam.
- After a period of foundation skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence) After a further period of skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) – Mechatronics Maintenance Technician, Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technology (QCF).
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Potential opportunity to continue your career here at the airport, becoming a full-time member of the team as a qualified shift engineer, however this is not guaranteed.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent maths (Grade 4/C or equivalent) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
WESTON COLLEGE OF FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.