Apprentice Specialist Teaching Assistant The Thomas Aveling School
This is a unique opportunity to join the Hearing Impairment Provision within the SEN department at Thomas Aveling, a successful mainstream secondary school. You will join a motivated, supportive and friendly team who provide teaching and learning support to students within our provision for hearing impaired students.
Closing date: 15 Aug 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
30 Aug 2022
27 Jul 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Provide learning support for deaf students under the guidance of the Teacher of the Deaf and class teacher, in all curriculum areas and school clubs.
- Start learning British Sign language and pass the relevant exams in order to support students through a Total Communication approach.
- Develop understanding the child’s Education, Health and Care Plan and maximise opportunities to develop learning.
- Support in maintaining clear records of support given with details of progress, achievement and misconceptions.
- Learn to appropriately manage children’s amplification – Hearing Aids, Radio Aids and Auditory Training Units.
- Work as part of the SEND team, translating school policies into practice and furthering the ethos of the school, including competing admin tasks during half term holidays such as filing, preparing resources, refreshing displays and researching specialist material.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Teaching assistant.
- Training will take place online, once a month, and there will be monthly meetings with the trainer at the workplace.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Possible permanent position at The Thomas Aveling School.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 5) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
The Thomas Aveling School
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.