Teaching Assistant Standard Apprenticeship Royton Hall Primary School
Working within Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2, the role is to work under the instruction of teaching/senior staff to enable access to learning for pupils and to assist the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom. Work may be carried out in the classroom or outside the main teaching area, under the direction of a teacher.
Closing date: 19 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
27 Jul 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Establish rapport and respectful, trusting relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
- Assist and support pupils, including those with special needs, in respect of personal, local and national learning strategies across the curriculum, as directed by the teacher. Ensure all pupils are safe and have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- The role may include supporting pupil’s personal programmes, relating to social, health, physical, hygiene, and welfare matters. The pupil may also need assistance to access different areas of the school. Following appropriate training and in line with school procedures, to administer basic first aid and/or medication as required.
- Promote inclusion and acceptance of all pupils by encouraging them to interact with each other and to engage in activities led by the teacher.
- Promote self-esteem and encourage pupils to act independently as appropriate.
- Provide feedback on pupils’ personal needs as appropriate.
- Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate. Support pupils to understand instructions.
- Gather, report information from/to parents/carers as directed.
- Be aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and report to the teacher as agreed.
- Undertake basic pupil record keeping as requested.
- Prepare classroom as directed for lessons and clear-up afterwards.
- Assist with the display of pupils’ work.
- Prepare and maintain equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist pupils in their use.
- Provide routine clerical support for teachers, e.g. photocopying, filing, collecting money, checking deliveries and placing goods in stock and maintaining records of stock.
- To support others within the classroom and the School, contributing to the achievement of School objectives by working as part of a team.
- Assist with activities outside the classroom, working as part of a team to oversee pupils and support Activity Leaders, e.g. Breakfast Club or accompanying to swimming lessons. (If this is an agreed part of the working pattern)
- Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out-of-school activities as required.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Standard.
Off the job training will be delivered at the Oldham College one day per week.
(Functional Skills already achieved).
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Full time Teaching Assistant role
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A-C/9-4) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
THE OLDHAM COLLEGE
0161 785 4072
Level 3 (A level)