Design Engineer Apprentice BARTON FIRTOP ENGINEERING CO LTD
To train in all aspects of the Engineering department, whilst working towards gaining a HNC in Mechanical Engineering. Supporting the Design/Project Engineer’s from concept design to production within an agreed time frame, utilising the latest 3D modelling techniques. Producing (supervised) technical manufacturing drawings in SolidWorks.
Closing date: 28 Aug 2022
£9,254.44 to £18,278.00
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
27 Jul 2022
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Duties and responsibilities:
- Shall be fully committed to the achievement of the company policies and objectives with special respect to quality, safety and environment
- Working to agreed task lists and seeking clarification from the Engineering Manager, as required
- Design: to assist the Design Engineers if required. This shall include, but not be limited to:
- Research into specifications, materials and components, as instructed
- Material Procurement: issuing material requisitions for project and technical work; checked/approved by qualified Engineers
- Instigation and Control: working with the Design Engineers for instigation and ongoing control of projects This shall include:
- Maintaining documentation for live contracts including updating revision levels, incorporating comments and implementing minor changes
- Liaising with the Design Engineers to ensure the project/task is fully understood
- Supporting Engineering with design optimisation (i.e. cost and performance)
- Producing (supervised) technical drawings for manufacture and assembly in accordance with company standards to agreed time schedules
- Integration of common parts/standardisation and finalisation of materials and components
- Prototypes/Modifications: upon receipt of prototype/first off modification/manufacture, the following shall apply:
- (Where applicable, functional/process testing to establish equipment is ‘fit for purpose) o Inspection of prototype/modification to verify compliance to manufacturing drawings, supervised by the Manager or Design Engineers
- Feedback to supplier regarding NCRs/minor problems and subsequent issue/control of modifications of manufacturing drawings to supplier to enable closeout
- Documentation: responsible for the organisation and preparation of all engineering documentation requirements, ensuring they are issued, as required by the project
- Responsible for the supervised compilation of Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) approval documentation for issue to notified bodies, to enable approval of design
- Company bonus
- Company pension scheme
- Death in Service (Life insurance)
- 23 days holiday
- Free eye tests and contribution towards glasses for PC users, if appropriate
- Social events organised and funded by the company
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 4 Engineering Manufacturing Technician
End Point Assessment (EPA)
Higher National Certificate in Engineering or Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Manufacturing Operations.
Candidates will be required to attend Dudley College, Institute of Technology (IoT) campus, DY1 4AL, one day per week for the duration of the apprenticeship.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The successful candidate will be able to progress (if desired) into a Project Engineering role, running large projects & delegating to supporting staff. If progression is not desired, a Design Engineer role at Barton Firtop would be varied & interesting long-term; working with the R&D & technical teams, as well as the Shop Floor.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/5) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Engineering level 3 (Grade Pass) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
DUDLEY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
Engineering manufacturing technician
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)