Rail Engineering Design Technician Apprentice (Electrical) AECOM LIMITED
We are looking for an Apprentice to join our E&P team in York. As leaders in the sector, our E&P teams provide challenging opportunities in an ever-evolving industry. Our projects are providing improved connectivity for communities and improving the experience of rail commuters.
Closing date: 15 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 40.0
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
20 Jul 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
With both international and domestic clients we are committed to providing quality, innovative and sustainable solutions using the latest technology in Electrical engineering whilst taking advantage of our integrated range of services by collaborating with other disciplines across AECOM. We are looking for ambitious, hardworking, enthusiastic apprentice who has computational, mathematical and design skills. Successful candidate will work on a variety of projects from concept design to implementation for clients who operate either locally, nationally or internationally.
Some recent examples of our works include South Rail Systems Alliance, Northumberland line project, Darlington station enhancement etc.
You will use industry leading computer software while working on a variety of different expertise including:
- Contributing to providing design solutions to problem
- Production of CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings
- Assisting with site visits to collect information and provide design support
- Supporting the administration of projects
- Assisting with data review and analysis
- Working towards achieving Engineering Technician (EngTech) status
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 Railway Engineering Design Technician Standard
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma which will deliver most of the knowledge components of the Apprenticeship - this will be delivered by York College on a day release basis over 2 years.
- A portfolio of evidence which will capture the acquisition of knowledge and skills in the workplace and, through a series of regular short reports, demonstrate how they have integrated the knowledge and skills they have acquired to contribute to a work place project.
- The End Point Assessment which will be carried out by the relevant Professional Engineering Institution and will be based on two elements: A Technical Project with report and presentation and a Professional Discussion (underpinned by the portfolio of Competence based evidence)
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
Our ADVANCE development programme is designed to help you become your best self with training opportunities to continuously develop your skills and enhance your career. You will combine work-based on-the-job training and learning with further studies at college or university, on a day-release, block-release or distance learning basis, fully funded by AECOM.
Professional accreditation is a key component of your development and also important for AECOM’s business success, so we will also fully support you towards accreditation with the relevant professional institute.
ADVANCE’ is a 2.5 year blended learning programme promoting collaboration across all AECOM disciplines, ensuring that our apprentices network with and learn from other apprentices across the UKI business. This includes:
- Induction to introduce you to AECOM and some of our senior leaders, and to give you a detailed overview of the AECOM business and ‘ADVANCE’
- An Outward Bound week to develop some core behavioural competencies
- Training events to develop your skills & knowledge around project delivery, managing yourself, presentation skills, and work winning
- Online learning, and on-the-job technical development
- Mentoring within your specific team
- Support to become a STEM Ambassador and to make use of the 2 paid CSR days AECOM provides each year
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion of the Level 3 Apprenticeship, there may be scope to contine onto further training such as a Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 5) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade C or Above) Desired
A Level or equivalent Science (Grade C or Above) Desired
About the employer
SALFORD AND TRAFFORD ENGINEERING GROUP TRAINING ASSOCIATION LIMITED
Railway engineering design technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.